GEN 2 Paddle shift times.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've barely used the paddle shifters, too many gears and it revs too fast, but primarily:

It seems to shift painfully slow.

Does anyone know how fast it shifts?

And for a dumb question--does it shift when you pull the paddle, or is it when you release it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
i don’t know how fast it shifts, I’ve heard guys who own dual clutch cars complain similarly. It’s no motorcycle with a quick shifter, but I think it’s acceptably fast. A point of clarification, i think there is a difference between using the paddles to lock out gears and unlock them by depressing the paddles when not in manual mode, and the response time when in manual mode. I don’t have scientific proof, it’s my personal perception.

interesting question about when the signal is sent, on the pull or release. I’ve never pulled and held the paddle back, i’ve always just did a quick pull and release.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I think its a cool concept but haven't even used them, kinda have a feeling I'd be disappointed.

And that’s kind of the thing, if you only ever try them out and think - meh, I don’t like it you will be disappointed because you’ll have expectations - realistic or not - that won’t be met.
I should use them more myself for exactly that reason.

Fun fact: I began my Raptor journey in manual mode, wondering why the hell Lucille wouldn’t upshift leaving out of the stealership. I’m sure it was only a couple seconds but it felt like an eternity until I slapped the shifter into drive.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Cobb transmission tune it’s damn responsive for a automatic. Never use them though

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mainly use them when towing or going down hills...throw the transmission in manual mode and then you get to control what gear it's in to control your speed that way rather than having to brake all the time. However, I don't use the paddles to quickly shift gears or for getting quickest 0-60 times, etc.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
tested today;
downshift happens on the pull, not the release. upshift happens on the pull, not the release.
Upshifting by button when it’s not called for is asynchronous. That is, upshifting out of the power band for lower rpm.

i was able to get 10-8 with a double tap pretty quick. I didn’t have a lot of time to mess with it, but it was kind of fun.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I’m supremely disappointed in the paddle shifters. When I bought my 2016 Corvette I bought the automatic because I thought I wanted the paddle shifters, and for an automatic slush box they worked very well.

It was truly a sport setup in that the shifts were near instaneous (though not quite as fast as a dual clutch), and they were firm. It also had a neat feature where you held the downshift paddle, and the transmission would immediately drop to the lowest usable gear so you could immediately hammer the throttle and takeoff. It also rapidly learned how you used the system, so it would anticipate what you were looking for in terms of shift points.

I was expecting a similarly sporty setup in the raptor, but it just wasn’t to be. When rapidly downshifting through multiple gears, it takes what feels like an eternity to make its way to the selected gear. Same thing for upshifting. It’s easy to bounce off the ref limiter on upshifts because the system just doesn’t process and select gears fast enough for spirited driving. Ford really dropped the ball here, which is surprising because the 2016 Taurus SHO I used to own worked very well when paddle shifting

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know I’m supremely disappointed in the paddle shifters. When I bought my 2016 Corvette I bought the automatic because I thought I wanted the paddle shifters, and for an automatic slush box they worked very well.

It was truly a sport setup in that the shifts were near instaneous (though not quite as fast as a dual clutch), and they were firm. It also had a neat feature where you held the downshift paddle, and the transmission would immediately drop to the lowest usable gear so you could immediately hammer the throttle and takeoff. It also rapidly learned how you used the system, so it would anticipate what you were looking for in terms of shift points.

I was expecting a similarly sporty setup in the raptor, but it just wasn’t to be. When rapidly downshifting through multiple gears, it takes what feels like an eternity to make its way to the selected gear. Same thing for upshifting. It’s easy to bounce off the ref limiter on upshifts because the system just doesn’t process and select gears fast enough for spirited driving. Ford really dropped the ball here, which is surprising because the 2016 Taurus SHO I used to own worked very well when paddle shifting

Raptor is definitely slow to react in "Normal" Drive Mode; even automatic downshifts seen like an eternity when you floor the accelerator. It seems the calibration engineers tuned the Raptor's "Normal" mode to the same algorithm as the standard truck's "Eco" mode. Sport mode is much more responsive. I've used the paddle shifters in Sport mode, and I have no complaints with the shift timing.