Overheating after SVC intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milo12

Reaction score
Yes, with a new tune they can set the fan activation temp. If you run a lower temp thermostat you have to adjust the fan activation anyway.

Milo12

Reaction score
That’s my next upgrade but I didn’t think I’d have to do it so soon lol. One part at a time I guess. All this work for a winch.... lol

LOL, yup I thought I was crazy for taking apart a brand new truck just so I could run a winch.

D

Deleted member 17706

I put in a Mishimoto radiator at the same time I moved the intercooler. I figured since I had the front end torn apart why not do the radiator at the same time. The Mishimoto radiator is a welding work of art and way thicker than the stock radiator. I can't give you a comparison but I've never seen the temp gauge budge no matter how hot it is outside in sand or mo

What part of Cali are you in? Lol I have heard stories like yours then I hear stories from others that are the complete opposite. I guess it mostly has to do with climates and elevation. @zombiekiller has did all the upgrades one can do (radiator and so on) and still has heating problems. I backed off running a winch for myself because I didn’t want to run into heating problems.

Milo12

Reaction score
I'm on the central coast, pretty mild weather. I make regular Death valley trips, Pismo dunes, Baja etc. Never had a heat problem even in 115F heat. I have never towed anything so I can't say that won't be a problem.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
No heating issues here so far and all desert to mountain driving. I think there might be another issue possibly. Haven’t seen to manny overheating issues on here so far.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My past experience with overheating was reduced,by adding a FR radiator and a good following IC. Yes I still do have the over heat issue but after this upgrade i do have more play time before it over heats.My truck overheats when I am on full throttle for a couple of seconds in the dunes.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealt with running hot on my GEN1 only at HWY speeds for years due to poor designed aftermarket bumper and huge Whipple heat exchanger. Changed bumpers went to smaller heat exchanger , Ron Davis radiator. Temps stay 210 deg now at , 90+ mph at 112 deg outside . I don't mess with anything disturbing airflow anymore lesson learned . My Gen 2 i'm installing Garrett in stock location . In Arizona maximum airflow is needed, you guys in rest of country can get away with lights in grill, FM intercoolers . Not me , not worth it . If its 120 out i'm more concerned with coolant temp vs air charge temps , i can control boost with my right foot. But i cant control coolant temps with blocked air flow .

Last edited:

WC114

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Cobb , and pull a 30” boat in the fla heat. No issues . Maybe you’re IC is more restrictive? I had assumed they would all be similar maybe not .

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Yeah I’m going to be watch more closely but this has me thinking I should just do the rad and trans coolers.

we should start a new thread “FMIC and temps” or something so we can see the brand, and temps to see if there are any differences and where the issues are coming from.