Overheating after SVC intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mokie

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with overheating after installing a front mount intercooler? I installed a SVC intercooler and my engine temp does fine if I’m driving around town but if I pull something or drive through steep hills I start having overheating issues. I never had these issues before the swap.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
are you running light bar(s) or pods obstructing the grille area?

D

Deleted member 17706

No I’m not running anything else behind the grille

View attachment 145654

Even though you are not running a light bar, that top hoop on the bumper coupled with the SVC FMIC, is enough to alter the air flow to cause heating problems. Yes, air still passes through the IC, but the air flow to the radiator and tranny cooler is inhibited—Arizona weather does not help. It SUCKS I know, but it is deceiving for these companies to post dope pictures of Raptors with frame cut bumpers and 5 LP9s mounted on the top loop (partially blocking the grille) because all of those trucks will have cooling issues in hot/off-road environments. I live in a hot and humid climate too, so I decided against running a FMIC where I don't have issues like you.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Even though you are not running a light bar, that top hoop on the bumper coupled with the SVC FMIC, is enough to alter the air flow to cause heating problems. Yes, air still passes through the IC, but the air flow to the radiator and tranny cooler is inhibited—Arizona weather does not help.

To me, that bumper looks like it shouldn’t contribute significantly to overheating, but that said I don’t have an FMIC so I’m not in a position to say definitively. I know there’ve been a couple posters who have had the issues when towing and had light bars, which is why I asked. I don’t think we ever heard back if removing the light bars worked to get the heat under control but based on your results, I’d say that the FMIC is creating enough of an airflow obstruction to compromise the engine’s cooling capacity under load.

I never had these issues before the swap.

I think you have identified your next troubleshooting step.

D

Deleted member 17706

To me, that bumper looks like it shouldn’t contribute significantly to overheating, but that said I don’t have an FMIC so I’m not in a position to say definitively. I know there’ve been a couple posters who have had the issues when towing and had light bars, which is why I asked. I don’t think we ever heard back if removing the light bars worked to get the heat under control but based on your results, I’d say that the FMIC is creating enough of an airflow obstruction to compromise the engine’s cooling capacity under load.

I think you have identified your next troubleshooting step.

The top loop isn’t significant, but it is changing the air flow by likely pushing the air more into the FORD lettering, which diverts air. The FMIC is the main culprit.

@Truckasaurus even with the bigger radiator and tranny cooler, you will still have heating problems. So that won’t solve the problem. Again, the FMIC is the problem.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
Do you think a tune would help out? I noticed that Cobb said I would need to tune my truck after installing their IC. I’m using Svc and they didn’t say anything about doing a tune.

B808FD06-7750-4F63-A721-4C575BD1B244.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Do you think a tune would help out? I noticed that Cobb said I would need to tune my truck after installing their IC. I’m using Svc and they didn’t say anything about doing a tune.

View attachment 145666

A tune isn’t going to change much—guys with tunes still have heating problems. The problem is that you have a massive IC sitting in front of your radiator restricting air flow.

What gas do you use? You need to run the highest grade fuel that you can get. There is some good info on this thread for how fuel can effect cooling (page 2 in particular): https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/stock-tune-very-safe-in-the-heat.76421/