Overheating after SVC intercooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
What sort of overheating issues? Did it actually overheat?

I was pulling a small empty double axel trailer in Texas and the temp shot up in the 250s. It said something about power save mode and I pulled over. As soon as I did it went back to normal. I had to unhook the trailer and put it on my friends truck instead.
I’m now in Arizona and I took a little trip through some hills (with no trailer) and it started shooting back in the 240s 250s. I know it’s hot here in AZ but I don’t feel that the truck should be running that hot. I can drive around town and leave the truck on for hours with no issues. It’s only when I get into some hills or when I try to pull anything.
I usually pull a Polaris ranger around for work but I’m having problems after adding the FMIC. I didn’t know if I had to do a tune or add something else to keep it cooler.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
Oof. Fans working?

The fans are working. I always take my two dogs with me and whenever I have to run in a store or something I leave the truck and AC on for them. I’ve never had any problems with it getting into high temps when it’s just sitting. I can hear the fans kick in also.

Would I get any issues if I hooked the fans up to a switch? This way I could have them running all the time in hilly areas and when towing? Or would that create problems down the road?

D

Deleted member 17706

I usually only run higher octane when we go on long trips (Just about every weekend). I’ll try only using a higher octane and see if it helps out. I didn’t know that a lower grade gas did that

Yea, higher grade gas will make a difference. I would make sure you get Top Tier fuel too: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ You will need to run several tanks of premium for the sensors to adjust to the higher rating fuel unless you can reset the KAM using forscan.

I will say though, it does seem a little premature for the IC to be overheating on hwy hill climbs with no major weight in the bed and/or hauling a trailer. I would double check to make sure everything is bolted down correctly. But then again, the temperature, elevation, and so on can all attribute to such an issue.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The fans are working. I always take my two dogs with me and whenever I have to run in a store or something I leave the truck and AC on for them. I’ve never had any problems with it getting into high temps when it’s just sitting. I can hear the fans kick in also.

Would I get any issues if I hooked the fans up to a switch? This way I could have them running all the time in hilly areas and when towing? Or would that create problems down the road?
I would advise against a switch, there will be a time when you forget to turn them on. It happened to me a few times on a 6.0 swapped crawler.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
Yea, higher grade gas will make a difference. I would make sure you get Top Tier fuel too: https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ You will need to run several tanks of premium for the sensors to adjust to the higher rating fuel unless you can reset the KAM using forscan.

I will say though, it does seem a little premature for the IC to be overheating on hwy hill climbs with no major weight in the bed and/or hauling a trailer. I would double check to make sure everyt.

I will say though, it does seem a little premature for the IC to be overheating on hwy hill climbs with no major weight in the bed and/or hauling a trailer. I would double check to make sure everything is bolted down correctly. But then again, the temperature, elevation, and so on can all attribute to such an issue.

I’ll double check everything again. I’ll definitely be using that chart too. I travel a lot for work so I usually don’t get gas from the same places. I hope switching to a higher octane can help out. Thanks for the info

Milo12

Reaction score
I put in a Mishimoto radiator at the same time I moved the intercooler. I figured since I had the front end torn apart why not do the radiator at the same time. The Mishimoto radiator is a welding work of art and way thicker than the stock radiator. I can't give you a comparison but I've never seen the temp gauge budge no matter how hot it is outside in sand or mountains.

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
I would advise against a switch, there will be a time when you forget to turn them on. It happened to me a few times on a 6.0 swapped crawler.

Is there anyway to program the truck to have the fans turn on sooner?

OP
OP
Mokie

Mokie

Reaction score
I put in a Mishimoto radiator at the same time I moved the intercooler. I figured since I had the front end torn apart why not do the radiator at the same time. The Mishimoto radiator is a welding work of art and way thicker than the stock radiator. I can't give you a comparison but I've never seen the temp gauge budge no matter how hot it is outside in sand or mountains.

That’s my next upgrade but I didn’t think I’d have to do it so soon lol. One part at a time I guess. All this work for a winch.... lol