Other uses for an Icom radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember if you see a black van driving around with FCC written on the side, stay off the radio! It's illegal to transmit outside of the bands a radio is designed for, and many of the frequencies that are used are limited to wattage and some are in the business band from what I've seen. I have a Yaesu FT-7800 that is modified as is my Kenwood TH-G71 HT. Not that I ever transmit out of band! I'm a HAM and would never do that.

/73 K9HNK

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just remember if you see a black van driving around with FCC written on the side, stay off the radio! It's illegal to transmit outside of the bands a radio is designed for, and many of the frequencies that are used are limited to wattage and some are in the business band from what I've seen. I have a Yaesu FT-7800 that is modified as is my Kenwood TH-G71 HT. Not that I ever transmit out of band! I'm a HAM and would never do that.

/73 K9HNK

Quit ruining our fun!!!

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea go in and look at how small that little basterd really is then try to get a solder tip that small..lol... I have done it, but it made me nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs... Same procedure for the 2900 and 7900 ...

Reaction score
I guess you can call me a newbie when it comes to radios...so what other uses can I get out of a Icom type radio? Is it the same as a CB? Would love to get one and they look fun but are there other uses that using during an event?

I have the Icom ID-5100A. Its transmits on 2m and 70cm in FM and DV (DSTAR). It has built in GPS so it can auto search the nearest repeater and so it can transmit my truck location to the person I'm communicating with. It also has bluetooth capabilities allowing me to control the device from my cellphone using the Icom Android App. Routing communication to anywhere in the world is easy using the built in software. The radio can transmit voice, text, and pictures to anyone in the world for free

Attachments

• DSC01204.jpg
    DSC01204.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 71

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can find someone to program it for you it can be used for any VHF 134-178 channel.. Many police and fire and ems use them.. It is illegal to modify it and or talk on police channels. They are great when going to an event or from and you can chat on the radio as you go. They are not CB radios and do not work in the CB bandwidth. If you want more from a radio look to dual band or VHF/CB radio these will do both.. There is a reason so many people use Icom when running off road,,, they work...

Waaaaait, can you actually get one of these suckers to work on CB too?