Other uses for an Icom radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess you can call me a newbie when it comes to radios...so what other uses can I get out of a Icom type radio? Is it the same as a CB? Would love to get one and they look fun but are there other uses that using during an event?

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use it to monitor police, fire, and other services that operate on frequencies the radio receives. You have to know the frequencies and program them in advance though. I had a Kenwood 271a before my icom, I could tune in any frequency on the radio itself, I kind of miss that.

OP
OP
mouldman1

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can use it to monitor police, fire, and other services that operate on frequencies the radio receives. You have to know the frequencies and program them in advance though. I had a Kenwood 271a before my icom, I could tune in any frequency on the radio itself, I kind of miss that.

Is it similar to a scanner? I have a uniden trunking scanner...I could never figure it out

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can find someone to program it for you it can be used for any VHF 134-178 channel.. Many police and fire and ems use them.. It is illegal to modify it and or talk on police channels. They are great when going to an event or from and you can chat on the radio as you go. They are not CB radios and do not work in the CB bandwidth. If you want more from a radio look to dual band or VHF/CB radio these will do both.. There is a reason so many people use Icom when running off road,,, they work...

OP
OP
mouldman1

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can find someone to program it for you it can be used for any VHF 134-178 channel.. Many police and fire and ems use them.. It is illegal to modify it and or talk on police channels. They are great when going to an event or from and you can chat on the radio as you go. They are not CB radios and do not work in the CB bandwidth. If you want more from a radio look to dual band or VHF/CB radio these will do both.. There is a reason so many people use Icom when running off road,,, they work...

Definitely want something to work so I would stay with the icom

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you like the ability to dial in any frequency you want, and for a great price, my buddy has had GREAT experience with this radio, the Yaesu FT-2900R:

Amazon.com: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio: Car Electronics

Only catch if you read the fine print is that it only "receives" communication between frequencies 136-174Mhz and we run on 151.625. HOWEVER! There is a simple "mod" you can do to the radio, which unlocks transmitting AND receiving on the entire range! That's what my buddy did... works perfect, and you can type in any frequency you want to transmit on, at any time! Which is very nice...

Here is a "how-to" on the modification (supposedly not legal in the eyes of the FCC)...

Yaesu ft-2900r frequency modification mars mod

So for $220, you can have a full function 75-watt radio which works across a very broad spectrum, and you can type in you own frequencies! Many other models (most in fact) require that you program channels in those ranges.

Hope that helps! We've done dozens of runs... so my recommendations come after experience with a variety of plotters and radios.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you like the ability to dial in any frequency you want, and for a great price, my buddy has had GREAT experience with this radio, the Yaesu FT-2900R:

Amazon.com: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio: Car Electronics

Only catch if you read the fine print is that it only "receives" communication between frequencies 136-174Mhz and we run on 151.625. HOWEVER! There is a simple "mod" you can do to the radio, which unlocks transmitting AND receiving on the entire range! That's what my buddy did... works perfect, and you can type in any frequency you want to transmit on, at any time! Which is very nice...

Here is a "how-to" on the modification (supposedly not legal in the eyes of the FCC)...

Yaesu ft-2900r frequency modification mars mod

So for $220, you can have a full function 75-watt radio which works across a very broad spectrum, and you can type in you own frequencies! Many other models (most in fact) require that you program channels in those ranges.

Hope that helps! We've done dozens of runs... so my recommendations come after experience with a variety of plotters and radios.

I second this. The mod is super easy to do.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The mods easy to do but nerve racking as hell to do. I have the 7900R and it really makes your ass pucker trying to get the jumper out. But I can not give a long term sample yet but I will be able to come August and tell you what I find.. had it not been for getting it below 300 I would not have it..