Other uses for an Icom radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Icom is just a brand along with Kenwood, Yaesu, TYT, baofeng ect.....

The big three have radios that cover HF, UHF and VHF. All require a mod to make them transmit in that range

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A mod is fine. I'm hearing a lot of things here, but bottom line - I can buy a VHF radio, mod it, and use it effectively as a CB as well? I'm interested because although I know most folks here use VHF, in my local circle I've been needing a CB for a number of things. Obviously if I can get a unit that does both, that works out very well for me.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot mod a VHF to get CB.
You would need a HF radio for that.
So, to get both you would have to buy a HF, VHF, UHF.
CB is 27Mhz or 11 meter band. 28Mhz to 29Mhz is 10 meter HAM Band.
VHF is generally FM or Frequency Modulation.
CB is generally AM or Amplitude Modulation and Single Side Band ~ Upper or Lower.
HAM radio or Amateur Radio requires taking a test to get FCC license and a call sign issued by the FCC.
Someone already posted a link to the ARRL.org website.
It is illegal to mod a radio "out or band" to transmit,
as it no longer meets FCC Part 15 specs. for which it was originally approved by the FCC for sale by the Mfg.
Although, there is no heavy enforcement to the laws unless complaints are received from licensed radio operators,
the fines can be $5000+ and confiscation of equipment.
The HAM radio test is easy now . . . as opposed to when I took it and had to learn Morse Code.
The test are shorter and code is no longer required.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So is running more then 1500 watts...... It doesn't stop hams from doing it.
What it boils down to is if you're not causing harmful interference or being a complete ass to others on the air the FCC wont bother you. They don't have the resources to handle every complaint they receive.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, very conflicting answers here. Laws aside, can a VFH radio or can't it transmit/receive as a CB (with a mod)?

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:ROFLJest:
So is running more then 1500 watts...... It doesn't stop hams from doing it.
What it boils down to is if you're not causing harmful interference or being a complete ass to others on the air the FCC wont bother you. They don't have the resources to handle every complaint they receive.

As I stated, the laws are not heavily enforced unless complaints are received.
So, you are correct there we can agree there . . and up to 1500 watts is legal for licensed operators, but not over 1500w.
In mobile applications, one would find it very difficult to past the RF Emission Standards for an antenna mounted on a vehicle.
HAMs running more power than 1500watts is not safe in the VHF frequencies in a vehicle and not logical, even in a home environment,
because in order to increase 1 S unit, one has to increase their power 4 X.
A waste of time, money. And the safety of persons nearby would be compromised.
These are just facts that the operators of this equipment should be aware of.
Like you said, they do not have the resources, but the Feds keep growing bigger

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

So, very conflicting answers here. Laws aside, can a VFH radio or can't it transmit/receive as a CB (with a mod)?

Go back and read my original post.
CB is (cheap)HF radio
VHF is a different animal.
You would need a mod'd Yaesu 857D or Icom 706MKII or 7000 etc
These radios incorporate HF + VHF + UHF in them and they are more expensive.
You might be able to get a good used one