GEN 2 Off-roading your Gen 2: Driving Modes, Handling Characteristics, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrinky

Reaction score
this excellent post would fare well as a sticky. I wondered about deep snow as well. So should we "use" mud/sand for deep snow driving? And can 2019 trucks no longer drive through mud?

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this excellent post would fare well as a sticky. I wondered about deep snow as well. So should we "use" mud/sand for deep snow driving? And can 2019 trucks no longer drive through mud?

Yes, and apparently. Good thing I didn't get a 2019 given mud is about all I seem to encounter.

Last edited:

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice well written post - Thank you..
Funny thing for me is that I keep forgetting this truck is a 4wd...all my other desert trucks have been 2wd...

I have found that the Raptor really climbs hills better then I would have thought in 2wd which helps me forget the 4wd..
My dirt settings: I turn off all the TC, and always manually shift, but not with the paddles, I use the rocker on the shifter and this works really well for me...sometimes I'll also go into "Sport" mode as well...but again in 2wd....

I just got back from spectating the Baja 1000 and we had the truck fully loaded including 4 people and ran 30 miles of the course...and yes I never really thought to run in any 4wd mode!....DUH!

Ran the truck in California City a few months ago...again all in 2wd...ha...ha....

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome post. Thank you! I think it would also be very helpful to post settings for running deep snow .

Funny you should mention that - it appears that on the 2019s, Mud/Sand is now Deep Snow/Sand. So if you want to be able to deal with that, you'll have to get a 2019, but if you do you're screwed for mud ;)

I didn't mention snow because I live in Texas so we usually get a few days of black ice with a dusting of snow. Not even that the last two years.