GEN 2 Off-roading your Gen 2: Driving Modes, Handling Characteristics, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deep snow should be equivalent to Mud/Sand, so the answer is "mostly"

Either traction control is turned off or it isn't. It can't be "mostly". If you don't know the answer, that's fine, but if you don't know the answer, please don't spread ambiguous answers that aren't accurate.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only critique would be to add something about optimized braking in each of the modes. The Raptor school clearly demonstrated this aspect on the performance course when I attended. The braking differences were very noticeable when using the correct mode.

Otherwise, will done and I will add, Trust the Modes.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Either traction control is turned off or it isn't. It can't be "mostly". If you don't know the answer, that's fine, but if you don't know the answer, please don't spread ambiguous answers that aren't accurate.

Alright smartass, here's your answer. You cannot fully turn off any of the nannies in this truck, the Gen 1, or practically any modern car, thanks to regulation.

The truck will tell you it is turned 'off', but in reality the activation bounds are loosened. As explained in my original post, the offroad modes greatly reduce the trigger criteria for traction control and RSC, but don't entirely eliminate it. Hitting or holding the button further reduces the trigger criteria, but again, it will still fire as legally electronic assistance cannot be fully turned off.

I refer you to post 1 in this thread, quoting myself:

Before we go into detail on the driving modes, let’s talk about the traction control button. Each mode automatically adjusts the traction control settings (see the Quick Reference Card), but system interference can be reduced by hitting the button once, and even further reduced by holding it for 5 seconds. It can never be turned fully off.

For clarity throughout this guide, I’ll refer to a single TC press as the ‘Veteran’ setting, and the press + hold as the ‘Expert’ setting. This means each driving mode has three TC settings (Baja Normal, Baja Veteran, Baja Expert). They are not equal across the board. The manual isn’t clear on this, nor have I found anyone that knows any details about it, so I’ve resorted to figuring it out myself. I’ve also documented what settings people find themselves using to corroborate my findings.

The offroad default TC settings are looser than the on-road Veteran settings - Baja normal is less restrictive than Normal Veteran, for example. To my surprise, the Veteran and Expert settings DO in fact make a difference in the offroad modes, and TC parameters differ even between the offroad modes.

It seems that the settings more or less correspond to the Gen 1 parameters. For most drivers, BlueSVT recommends using the Veteran settings. While I generally agree, I think it is best to use the most restrictive settings possible that don’t interfere with your driving. So if you are in Baja mode going up a hill, and you find yourself fighting TC, then hit the button and eliminate that problem. But if you don’t have TC fighting you, don’t just jump straight into Expert mode just because you can. I was ******** around in weather mode one rainy day, and used Weather Expert to see what it was like. I floored it around a corner and slid a full lane over (don’t worry, I had anticipated this happening, and made sure it was clear before I tried it). The system is designed to keep you and your truck safe. Don’t be afraid to dial in back as necessary, but in most cases you won’t need to. I’ll talk more about my personal recommendations in the driving mode section.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only critique would be to add something about optimized braking in each of the modes. The Raptor school clearly demonstrated this aspect on the performance course when I attended. The braking differences were very noticeable when using the correct mode.

Otherwise, will done and I will add, Trust the Modes.

I did touch on it a bit in each of the driving modes, especially highlighting the difference between Sport mode and Baja mode braking, but I could probably make it a bit more obvious. It is a very important point.

Unfortunately, I've lost the ability to edit that post and the admins here are nonexistent.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not? The faster you go the more fun it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there are a lot of people that like to do donuts and that sort of thing. That's not my style. I live at 7000' elevation in Colorado where we get some major snow storms - like today. That's one of the primary reasons why I got this truck - I have severe conditions to deal with.