GEN 2 Off-roading your Gen 2: Driving Modes, Handling Characteristics, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBR ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people that like to do donuts and that sort of thing. That's not my style. I live at 7000' elevation in Colorado where we get some major snow storms - like today. That's one of the primary reasons why I got this truck - I have severe conditions to deal with.
Totally get that, I just returned from a 2 week trip out there in my Gen1....but when conditions permit, 60 in a foot of snow is awesome fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a very cool video, not only because it features trophy trucks (and the new 4WD models!) but it also reiterates my point about Baja 4H being the correct default choice for our trucks. Note how the 2WD truck can swing around tight corners better, but still loses to the 4WD truck due to the superior traction of the 4WD truck.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gotta read and reread this when I have more time. Truly excellent writeup. Ty.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
for me, clipping along at 40-80 mph on my last trip to baja, baja mode in 2wd, TC totally off and manually shifting proved to provide the best control.

At speed, being able to bring the rear end around very quickly was pretty important when encountering jump > land > brake > hard turn.

Being in baja and manually shifting 100% saved me from roaching a fender on at least one fairly large, unexpected boulder ( that was about the same size as my truck).

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
for me, clipping along at 40-80 mph on my last trip to baja, baja mode in 2wd, TC totally off and manually shifting proved to provide the best control.

At speed, being able to bring the rear end around very quickly was pretty important when encountering jump > land > brake > hard turn.

Being in baja and manually shifting 100% saved me from roaching a fender on at least one fairly large, unexpected boulder ( that was about the same size as my truck).

How much weight do you run in the back? Also, your truck isn't quite stock anymore, is it now?

I also forget most people drive Supercrews, which definitely handle different.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
How much weight do you run in the back? Also, your truck isn't quite stock anymore, is it now?

I also forget most people drive Supercrews, which definitely handle different.

240 lbs in spare tires sunken down at the back of the bed, 150-200 lbs of tools, spare driveshaft, spare cv, spare axleshaft, another 50 lbs of random spares, pro eagle big wheel jack, 45 qt cooler, and probably another 50 lbs in fluids.

I am running king 4.0s so I have a metric ton of control too. I'd guestimate approx 700 lbs of gear in the bed when I'm on a run.

As you know my truck is the farthest thing from stock.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
240 lbs in spare tires sunken down at the back of the bed, 150-200 lbs of tools, spare driveshaft, spare cv, spare axleshaft, another 50 lbs of random spares, pro eagle big wheel jack, 45 qt cooler, and probably another 50 lbs in fluids.

I am running king 4.0s so I have a metric ton of control too. I'd guestimate approx 700 lbs of gear in the bed when I'm on a run.

As you know my truck is the farthest thing from stock.

That's what I thought. Could definitely see why that worked best for you. Not only all that weight, but once you start tuning your suspension you can really adjust how your truck is distributing forces.

I can barely take off in 2wd on gravel with my stock truck and an empty bed! Well, at least with stock tires. Be interesting if these new ones handle like I hope they will.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Could definitely see why that worked best for you. Not only all that weight, but once you start tuning your suspension you can really adjust how your truck is distributing forces.

I can barely take off in 2wd on gravel with my stock truck and an empty bed! Well, at least with stock tires. Be interesting if these new ones handle like I hope they will.
my grabber x3s dig to china in all sorts of terrains. give em a look.

My truck runs completely differently since tuning the suspension. it was wayyyyyyyyyyy different and now I'm in love with it.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my grabber x3s dig to china in all sorts of terrains. give em a look.

My truck runs completely differently since tuning the suspension. it was wayyyyyyyyyyy different and now I'm in love with it.

You are the second person whose input I value who has recommended those. If I weren't so dead set on my coopers I might actually have sprung for them this time. If I'm not pleased with this set, the X3s will be on my short list for next time.

I can imagine. I am really pleased with the stock shocks, but I've found their limits. Most annoying is the front end pogo effect, but you can only ask so much out of internal bypasses. Eventually I'll get a secondary external up front and a bigger external in the back, but that won't be until after the truck is paid off.

Why did you go with Kings? I've ridden in Fox and Icon trucks, but I'm always curious as to why people opted for the brand they did. Icon seems to make quality stuff, but ends up only being compatible with their own stuff (so I'm told).

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spent a couple days in an area called the "North Maine Woods" and have a few comments about the Gen2 and handling.

First a disclaimer:
It is owned by logging companies and the public pays to play. No motorcycles or ATVs allowed.
Given that the main roads are dominated by the occasional logging truck, and they do not yield, there is very little traffic.
Said logging trucks can show up at any time and usually at the worst possible moment, in a blind turn.
Said logging trucks operate from 5am thru 7pm mostly.

Bombing down straight roads a ludicrous speed was great fun, feared for the suspension a few times but, did no damage.
After dusk driving on twisties was the best. With the fear of logging trucks allayed.
Setup 4A, 25psi, TC on, 300lbs in the bed. (topper and gear)

Handling:
In a word awesome.
Come into a corner hot, dab the brakes, ass comes around a bit, on the gas, straightens out, power through turn.
Drift a bit but, as long as you don't break the laws of physics you stay on the road.
They programmed this truck at the factory like a dream.
Punch it in a corner and you get some drift, not a spin out.
Nearly idiot proof, we need better idiots! (humor)

I know I'm a wimp driving with TC on but, I am an idiot. (period)
Not a pro.
The road was narrow, the truck is 3 tons of mass, and accidents are expensive.

No moose were harmed, some were scared.