Octane Matters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealer told me 87 and I think they filled it with that. Still waiting to get empty from dealer gas to try 93! Excited to see if there is a difference. Only have 300 miles on the truck right now. Wanna be completely empty before filling.
99% of dealers and people who work there are clueless

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Costco and Sam's have fairly cheap 93 in GA, so with 37s that's all I run.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you’re dynoing in 2wd the normal parasitic losses are closer to 15% fwiw. 20-25 is more like awd/4wd losses. And as someone else said, it’s more of a Ax+y equation than a straight percentage. There’s some fixed losses (inertia) and some percentage (friction) of the power going to the ground. It’s all pretty inexact but that’s the fun of internet dyno racing.

I run 93 in mine. A tank lasts me 4-6 weeks with my short commute so f-it.

There’s no chance a full size Torque converter auto tranny equipped truck loses only 15% through drivetrain. No way- that’s similar for a manual tranny equipped vette w/ a short ass torque tube/drive shaft.

I’ve had a lot of experience getting both auto & manual tranny vehicles dyno’d- before & after mods, bone stock, back to back w/ other similar vehicles as a barometer etc. G8 GT, Camaro SS, GTO, Z06 vette, ‘07 Silverado 5.3, Merc Marauder w/ a stall & termi blower (friends car)etc etc.

No way, no chance, no how will a truck retain 85% of its crank HP en route to the rear wheels.

Rule of thumb would be closer to 25%- I’ll believe w/ the tighter modern 10 speed in these trucks there could be some efficiency gained there, but you also realize the big heavy wheels/tires will negatively impact the Raptors dyno #s too right? I’ve seen drag guys showing 10+ hp difference going down 10 lbs per corner.

Then there’s the 4.10s which ALSO will add to drivetrain loss & lower dyno readings.

So besides having a TC auto & a long driveshaft/wheelbase + heavier moving drivetrain components in general that cause ALL trucks to dyno lower than a car running the same engine, the raptors also have the tires & gears working against them on the dyno.

The dyno #s for the other vehicles tested in that article all seem reasonable - & that’s especially why I’m so impressed/dumbfounded by these results.

For comparison on K2 gen GM trucks (14-19) w/ a 6.2 like I had previously the typical stock dyno readings (usually on a dynojet) were 320-340whp against 420bhp - so 20-25%, super common. See attached.

Either they screwed up on the TQ numbers - or maybe these trucks really are well underrated from the factory. Clearly, the HP must be, & regardless - there’s no debate the best cheapest “first mod” for performance on these gen 2 raptors is filling em up w/ 36 gallons of 93+ for a solid 20whp bump.

F7F8FE31-A303-4716-89D2-93EC88B66F02.jpeg

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m getting like 12mpg do I have a setting wrong? Brand new

Driving style and the roads you drive. Having fun I can get 10 mpg. Cruising at 50 mph I can get double that at 20 mpg, avg around 15.

I think youre doing just fine

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s no chance a full size Torque converter auto tranny equipped truck loses only 15% through drivetrain. No way- that’s similar for a manual tranny equipped vette w/ a short ass torque tube/drive shaft.

I’ve had a lot of experience getting both auto & manual tranny vehicles dyno’d- before & after mods, bone stock, back to back w/ other similar vehicles as a barometer etc. G8 GT, Camaro SS, GTO, Z06 vette, ‘07 Silverado 5.3, Merc Marauder w/ a stall & termi blower (friends car)etc etc.

No way, no chance, no how will a truck retain 85% of its crank HP en route to the rear wheels.

Rule of thumb would be closer to 25%- I’ll believe w/ the tighter modern 10 speed in these trucks there could be some efficiency gained there, but you also realize the big heavy wheels/tires will negatively impact the Raptors dyno #s too right? I’ve seen drag guys showing 10+ hp difference going down 10 lbs per corner.

Then there’s the 4.10s which ALSO will add to drivetrain loss & lower dyno readings.

So besides having a TC auto & a long driveshaft/wheelbase + heavier moving drivetrain components in general that cause ALL trucks to dyno lower than a car running the same engine, the raptors also have the tires & gears working against them on the dyno.

The dyno #s for the other vehicles tested in that article all seem reasonable - & that’s especially why I’m so impressed/dumbfounded by these results.

For comparison on K2 gen GM trucks (14-19) w/ a 6.2 like I had previously the typical stock dyno readings (usually on a dynojet) were 320-340whp against 420bhp - so 20-25%, super common. See attached.

Either they screwed up on the TQ numbers - or maybe these trucks really are well underrated from the factory. Clearly, the HP must be, & regardless - there’s no debate the best cheapest “first mod” for performance on these gen 2 raptors is filling em up w/ 36 gallons of 93+ for a solid 20whp bump.

View attachment 130468

25% seems high to me, at least based on what I've personally seen on Dynos. I've typically seen 18-20% driveline losses through torque converted trannys

Granite6

Reaction score
Nice to see College Station in the forum. Whoop! I haven't seen a material difference in mpg between 87 and 93 - not enough to make the cost worth it. I'm lucky to break 15-16 mpg on the road with relatively conservative driving but thats likely the tires it came with.

FXT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread someone else started but this I thought this ACTUAL DATA that Car and Driver Magazine put together was worth posting for people with gen 2’s to see. I got my 19 a couple months ago and 93 is all I’ll ever put in it. 21.7mpg from College Station to Houston and back (about 200 miles total). Last 500 miles I’ve gotten 18.3 mpg (all according to the computer). Yes I drive it pretty conservatively for the most part but I do at least the posted speed limit.

Yes 87 works fine but why not get the full potential out of your Raptor, never even think about knock, potentially have a longer engine life and get a little better mpg. Just my opinion of course.

View attachment 130406
How in the hell do you get 21 MPG? Granted i installed an MPT Tune but in town my average is 13 or 14 MPG