Octane Matters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys really need a good taste of Commiefornia gas prices...$4.89 gal today for regular.

And I was butthurt yesterday when I had to pay $3.04 for 93... I did california for 3 years. Great place to play. Terrible place to live IMO.

I still store my toys over there for my glamis trips... like I said, great place to play!

Sam Hoffman

Reaction score
I run 89 mostly and when I’m going offroad or am going to pull I throw in 93. Don’t see a point to 93 if I’m not WOT the truck at all. 60-80 miles today commute adds up. 89 works fine for me for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something you may not realize with the digital throttle pedals is the computer will run the engine at close to WOT with your pedal position at 20%. You can easily verify with any good odbII adapter + app. It does this for efficiency and the digital throttle is what allowed the automatic to overtake the manual transmission in efficiency when they had the same number of gears. So even if you drive it easy the computer will still run the engine hard at low rpm which is where knock generally happens.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys really need a good taste of Commiefornia gas prices...$4.89 gal today for regular.
We definitely don’t need a taste of California pricing on anything. Highway robbery over there. Hope the state govt can figure it out and help you guys out for once !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thing that I took away from this article was - is the raptor actually underrated from the factory? Some moron tried to argue the opposite w/ me recently & couldn’t understand that these dyno results quite literally prove the opposite. 25% parasitic loss is very conservative/average for a large 4x4 truck/suv w/ long driveshaft & torque converter auto- manufacturers should advertise HP based on the min octane recommended, in this case 87

Ford advertises the Raptor as 450hp/510tq - but C&D’s dyno results on 87 fuel are 360/463 - so only a 20% loss from the crank to the wheels? Pretty much not possible- could be an overzealous dyno (like dynojet vs mustang) but even if we’re gonna run w/ those #s that would mean the Raptor is really producing more like 475hp - but whether what really gets me is their TQ #s, if we’re using the same correlating 20% parasitic loss that allows 450bhp to yield 360whp on 87 octane, @ 463rwtq that would mean like 580 @ the crank!?! Conversely 475rwtq on 93 octane would mean 595 @ the crank- that seems mighty optimistic.

Dynos are only a tool for measurement sure- but something about this whole test seems off. The HP #s seem high based on only 20% drivetrain loss, but the TQ# is just insane, I could believe the truck is underrated from the factory & I could believe the dyno is over zealous, but typically HP reads higher (% loss relative on dyno) than TQ on the dyno- this shows the opposite.

At any rate from now on if someone asks me how much power my truck has I’m just saying “475hp, & a shitload of TQ” since I run 93 & 93 only.

19Stripper

Reaction score
Parasitic loss cant truly be measured as a percentage though. More power added to the same resistance is going to yield a lower loss percentage.

93 only for mine since I bought it. 2.59 vs 2.99 is not that big of a deal considering I came from the diesel world paying more than both for the green stuff.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't deny the performance gains from higher octane, I just don't wish to pay 60 cents more a gallon for it (87-93= 60 cents, 87-91 = 30 cents). If I had money to spare where I felt it was worth it, that would be different.

Based on the data by the OP, the truck will get an extra .6 mpg or 21.6 miles over a 36 gallon tank. that equals 1.22 gallons of gas for every tank. So the extra performance really makes the jump from 87 to 93 only cost .48¢ a gallon, not .60¢.

12,000 miles a year / 17.6 mpg = 681 gallons x .48¢ = $327 a year.

Are you going to let $327 a year extra operating cost keep you from enjoying the full extent of your $75K truck. I **** away $27 a month in beer, why should I let that same amount of money neuter my truck.

Why do people care about what octane other people put in their tank?

Ever heard of doing it right? If your kid or friend are doing something clearly wrong and inefficient, I would hope you would point out to them the error of their ways.

It's not going to impact your trucks performance, the availability of the fuel you want, or the value of your truck.

Well, we have clearly demonstrated it does effect your trucks performance by a significant amount. It can impact the value of your tuck, as cheap gas is know to have more deposits and can create long term problems.

just sayin...