Octane Matters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread someone else started but this I thought this ACTUAL DATA that Car and Driver Magazine put together was worth posting for people with gen 2’s to see. I got my 19 a couple months ago and 93 is all I’ll ever put in it. 21.7mpg from College Station to Houston and back (about 200 miles total). Last 500 miles I’ve gotten 18.3 mpg (all according to the computer). Yes I drive it pretty conservatively for the most part but I do at least the posted speed limit.

Yes 87 works fine but why not get the full potential out of your Raptor, never even think about knock, potentially have a longer engine life and get a little better mpg. Just my opinion of course.

DB8D3345-4255-46CE-9F67-8881200CD01B.jpeg

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting that the performance difference is far larger than the peak power difference of 20hp/12lb-ft would suggest. This tells me that in addition to producing less peak HP, lower octane fuel is producing less power throughout the entire RPM range.

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C&D did a full article on it and said it was definitely noticeable going from reg to premium. “It’s like turning on another sport mode running 93”. I read it a couple weeks before my order came in and haven’t thought twice about what I put in mine since. I use the gas buddy app to find stations that aren’t too expensive. I go to a high traffic Valero station in College Station, TX. Filled up today for $2.75 a gallon. A guy in a gen 1 pulled up next to me and started chatting. He’s got a tune on his 6.2, runs 93 and gets 11 mpg. He did have mud terrains on his to be fair.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG Difference after running my gen 2 2018 for 2 k miles on 93 and then 2 k miles on 87, was 18.6 (93) dropping to 18.1 (87). All freeway, up and down east coast on I95, and I85.