Octane Matters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 is the highest where I'm at in southern California. Only run 91 in my rig.

clark98ut

Reaction score
Gas station down the road has the no ethanol fuel. I use it in my small engines (mower, son’s dirtbike, etc). I don’t recall what octane it’s rated at though. Anybody know what’s typical?

OP
OP
Jason Snokhous

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas station down the road has the no ethanol fuel. I use it in my small engines (mower, son’s dirtbike, etc). I don’t recall what octane it’s rated at though. Anybody know what’s typical?
I run no ethanol in my small engines as well. As for a truck, I don’t think it matters. Running premium pump gas in a Raptor is just fine. It’s designed for up to E15. If you notice on the pump it will say “up to 10% ethanol”, so it is probably actually less than that. IMO what’s more important is getting premium from high traffic gas stations so you don’t get old gas. I also don’t buy from really old stations as the tanks may have more corrosion. That being said they all have filters at the pump. Luckily I have a fairly new Valero station that has great premium fuel prices and it’s right off the highway so I’m confident the fuel is always pretty fresh. I pay over $6/gal at a local golf cart shop to get ethanol free 93 for my small engines. Sucks but the reality is I use about 10 gallons a year for small engines. I would love to buy another dirt bike. Grew up riding and sold my YZ250 a couple years ago. Might buy another. If I do I’ll run Ethanol free like you do.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All we have here in SE MN is 91 but it is ethanol free. I’ve been getting 18ish on the highway and 16ish around town.

Honestly I can’t tell the difference from 87 to 91 other than a few tenths on the MPG, BUUUT I don’t treat my accelerator as an on/off switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run 89 mostly and when I’m going offroad or am going to pull I throw in 93. Don’t see a point to 93 if I’m not WOT the truck at all. 60-80 miles today commute adds up. 89 works fine for me for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't deny the performance gains from higher octane, I just don't wish to pay 60 cents more a gallon for it (87-93= 60 cents, 87-91 = 30 cents). If I had money to spare where I felt it was worth it, that would be different.

Why do people care about what octane other people put in their tank? I readily admit that those that run 91 or 93 are more hardcore than me and all that jazz. It's not going to impact your trucks performance, the availability of the fuel you want, or the value of your truck.

Xpro

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. My dealer told
me to run 87. I thought I would try 91 (Canada) and it made a huge difference in how the throttle response felt. With 87 there was lag, 91 she jumps! This what I was expecting when I bought the truck. Will never go back.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run 89 mostly and when I’m going offroad or am going to pull I throw in 93. Don’t see a point to 93 if I’m not WOT the truck at all. 60-80 miles today commute adds up. 89 works fine for me for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't deny the performance gains from higher octane, I just don't wish to pay 60 cents more a gallon for it (87-93= 60 cents, 87-91 = 30 cents). If I had money to spare where I felt it was worth it, that would be different.

Why do people care about what octane other people put in their tank? I readily admit that those that run 91 or 93 are more hardcore than me and all that jazz. It's not going to impact your trucks performance, the availability of the fuel you want, or the value of your truck.

Exhibit A :D