GEN 1 OCD vs Deaver leaf pack install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have to agree, install it yourself if you want it done like you want. I found a shop that let's me work with the tech. We worked together getting things installed, using their lift and his tools. Kinda funny but the tech told me that he really doesn't like customers being back there, especially working with him but he was impressed with my knowledge and said he liked working with me because I knew what I was doing. I paid the regular shop bill to the shop and gave the tech a $100 tip. He was so stoked and thankful that he told me if I ever needed any more help installing aftermarket parts, he would be more than happy to do it. The shop likes my truck and I never ever complain about prices, so its been working out great for both of us. Shop once only charged me 1 hour of labor when we were back there for a little over 2 hours. I had them correct the paperwork so I was charged for 2 hours instead even though they insisted that I only needed to pay for 1 hour.

My son is Honda tech at a local dealership and he helped me installed the new version of the SPD downpipes, boy that was a PITA. I am not sure how a shop would of handled it because I found I broke the exhaust hanger on the transmission mount and had to order it from the dealership then we had a major issue with one of the studs. For that job and some of these jobs, you are just better off doing it yourself because you take your time if OCD is a factor, like it is with me too.

I personally wouldn't of remove the all the nuts on the u-bolts since they stretch but rather loosened one side and tighten the other to make them even.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I hired the best goons I could find in So FL to “help” with the springs. So I took them to a 4X4 shop after I power lifted them onto the bed of the beast. I painstakingly researched, interviewed, outlined what I wanted and even provided printed paperwork with steps and torque settings etc. And still I had to correct a few mistakes!
What shop was this? Want to make sure to stay clear of them. I like doing as much as my own work as possible and can normally use a lift at my brothers shop. I’m somewhat picky, but I like things done right. Never fails too many times these guys rush a job and half *** it.

OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Have to agree, install it yourself if you want it done like you want. I found a shop that let's me work with the tech. We worked together getting things installed, using their lift and his tools. Kinda funny but the tech told me that he really doesn't like customers being back there, especially working with him but he was impressed with my knowledge and said he liked working with me because I knew what I was doing. I paid the regular shop bill to the shop and gave the tech a $100 tip. He was so stoked and thankful that he told me if I ever needed any more help installing aftermarket parts, he would be more than happy to do it. The shop likes my truck and I never ever complain about prices, so its been working out great for both of us. Shop once only charged me 1 hour of labor when we were back there for a little over 2 hours. I had them correct the paperwork so I was charged for 2 hours instead even though they insisted that I only needed to pay for 1 hour.

My son is Honda tech at a local dealership and he helped me installed the new version of the SPD downpipes, boy that was a PITA. I am not sure how a shop would of handled it because I found I broke the exhaust hanger on the transmission mount and had to order it from the dealership then we had a major issue with one of the studs. For that job and some of these jobs, you are just better off doing it yourself because you take your time if OCD is a factor, like it is with me too.

I personally wouldn't of remove the all the nuts on the u-bolts since they stretch but rather loosened one side and tighten the other to make them even.
Hello Rick, I see your are back...Yes, I would've loosen and tighten to match the number of threads, but the bottom plate on the driver's side was on backwards and if you see on the marked pic, one u-bolt side was way off. The combination of the dude's lack of knowledge was evident by placing multiple items backwards and their need for speed compounded the errors...

Last edited:
OP
OP
MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
What shop was this? Want to make sure to stay clear of them. I like doing as much as my own work as possible and can normally use a lift at my brothers shop. I’m somewhat picky, but I like things done right. Never fails too many times these guys rush a job and half *** it.
I don't want to really give names, (it starts with 4X4) they were very responsive, however, I hope the install guy learned something that day...

PS; and no it wasn't 4X4WD Parts, I won't trust them with your truck...

Last edited:

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read:

-goons
-South Florida
-“help”

From an outsider’s perspective, sounds like you tried to save money on the install. You already know this by now, but either figure out how to do it yourself or bite the bullet and spend the money to get it done right the first time by a shop that can do it.
Been there, done that myself.
Better luck next time.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PS; ¿Plus how could they screw up a simple swap of leaf springs, they are in fact a custom 4X4 shop that does truck lifted Bro-trucks and mall-crawlers everyday, right?
Is there a Bro-dozer out there that isn't messed up? And who cares if a mall crawler is messed up? It's not like they're going to stress anything. So it all works out.