GEN 2 Icon vs Deaver Leafs. Which are more corrosion resistant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting on the Deaver+3HD on my '17 due to having some added weight on the bed with bed rack, RRT, camping gears etc... But I am going to wait until I really needed to change later for the reason the will and do squeaks and make noise no matter how much lube you do beforehand, have to keep them lube after every rain and so on.... I have replaced the leafs on three of my old Tacoma's and they all make noise after a while. Unless is necessary ( like you have a lot of weight in the bed all the time), installing it just to fit 37's and have to deal with gas milage loss and the problems/noise that will come with that later I don't think is a smart move. But to each his own!

There are a number of benefits the Deavers/Icons have over stock leaf springs aside from the 37" tire factor.

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered my Deaver HD +3 from Apollo Optics (thanks Nick!!) on 9/1 and they arrived on 9/24. I had heard about delays and back orders and lengthy times for delivery, but mine arrived just fine. They are indeed painted black. I also purchased some Amsoil HDMP and will be coating the heck out of them over the next few days to get them ready for installation.

Deavers on Pallet.jpg

Good luck!

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents is I just sprayed them with undercoating I’m not in a salt state but also heard about rusting. I live decently close to Deavers shop so I can always take it in for fixing. The leafs are worth the investment though. Offroad my rear end always felt squirrelly even with lower psi and I had a lot of sag with camping equipment and off-road bedrack, tires, gas, jack, etc. Huge improvement. I also did geiser springs in front so it helped level the truck. I wish I had gotten it an inch higher though as the weight in my bed still sags a little. But yes I highly recommend the upgrade over stock.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
My two cents is I just sprayed them with undercoating I’m not in a salt state but also heard about rusting. I live decently close to Deavers shop so I can always take it in for fixing. The leafs are worth the investment though. Offroad my rear end always felt squirrelly even with lower psi and I had a lot of sag with camping equipment and off-road bedrack, tires, gas, jack, etc. Huge improvement. I also did geiser springs in front so it helped level the truck. I wish I had gotten it an inch higher though as the weight in my bed still sags a little. But yes I highly recommend the upgrade over stock.

Which Deaver's did you purchase, +3 standard, heavy duty?

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Despite the surface rust on mine with the gear weight and my RSI smartcap shell I haven’t had any sagging with the icon option 2 setup. Truck drives so much better so I guess I don’t care if the surface rust is there [emoji2369]

If it affects performance I’ll replace them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ordered my Deaver HD +3 from Apollo Optics (thanks Nick!!) on 9/1 and they arrived on 9/24. I had heard about delays and back orders and lengthy times for delivery, but mine arrived just fine. They are indeed painted black. I also purchased some Amsoil HDMP and will be coating the heck out of them over the next few days to get them ready for installation.

View attachment 152866

Good luck!
I remember when mine looked like that. Still though, well worth the purchase, I can get a load of wood now, have hauled concrete blocks tow my trailer without sagging and it rides so much better offroad.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t let the surface rust bother you. It does not affect the performance or lifespan of the leafs. They will outlast your Raptor ownership without issues.

I live in Texas, so I do not have to worry about road salt. However, I paint my Deavers and wheel hubs every time I rotate my tires at 5000 mile intervals to keep the surface rust to a minimum. Here is what they look like after 2.5 years.

30F5A9F9-2F6E-4B3E-AF9D-AD9A1A1A31B0.jpeg