GEN 2 Icon vs Deaver Leafs. Which are more corrosion resistant?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to go Deaver +3 leafs on my Raptor (or the Icon equivalent), and I have read a few complaints about the Deavers rusting. I'm in Illinois and my truck is used through winter and salt. I read somewhere on this forum that the Deavers are corrosion coated as a whole, where with the Icons each individual leaf is coated, so the Icons are less likely to have rust issues. Not sure if that is true or not.

I was thinking of getting them powdercoated myself if that would help and maybe following up with some Amsoil HDMP every year. It would be nice to avoid getting them powdercoated if it isn't necessary as it just obviously adds to the cost. I saw too on this forum someone mentioned that Deaver had recently changed their coating method and they shouldn't corrode like they used to. Can anyone confirm?

And one other question, do the aftermarket leafs squeak? Can you hear it from inside the cab? Have seen this mentioned a few times as well.

Thanks

Last edited:

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they have recently changed there process, Deavers do not come powder coated, Icon's do. A Midwest salt winter destroys these. Call both companies to confirm and go with the one that offers it. Don't waste the $$ to have them power coated after the fact, they need to disassemble, paint and then reassemble so it costs a lot more in the long run.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I gave Icon a call and spoke to their technical support. Their leafs do not come powder coated. They are painted.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I gave Icon a call and spoke to their technical support. Their leafs do not come powder coated. They are painted.

What about Deaver? I don't believe there's are even painted.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just spray them liberally with Fluid Film or equivalent every fall season. I don't believe personally in powder coating an item that flexes, it will crack. Ask your powder coating company for a warranty on your springs if you are adamant about going that route. Good luck. I have deavers and yes they are rusted but they still work perfectly with no squeaks, I apply too much fluid film until its dripping everywhere, I know it helps, but if you want that fresh new look under your raptor, don't drive it in the winter.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took apart my icons when they delivered them, sprayed them with Amsoil heavy duty metal protector, and put them at option 2 and 1.5 years later they still have surface rust [emoji2369]

They look great but both are probably going to rust on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Still weighing if I want to even bother with aftermarket leafs as it seems I will have issues. The reason why I wanted to get them was for 37's, but maybe I should save some headaches keep the stock leafs and just keep 35's so I don't have to mess with it.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting on the Deaver+3HD on my '17 due to having some added weight on the bed with bed rack, RRT, camping gears etc... But I am going to wait until I really needed to change later for the reason the will and do squeaks and make noise no matter how much lube you do beforehand, have to keep them lube after every rain and so on.... I have replaced the leafs on three of my old Tacoma's and they all make noise after a while. Unless is necessary ( like you have a lot of weight in the bed all the time), installing it just to fit 37's and have to deal with gas milage loss and the problems/noise that will come with that later I don't think is a smart move. But to each his own!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Still weighing if I want to even bother with aftermarket leafs as it seems I will have issues. The reason why I wanted to get them was for 37's, but maybe I should save some headaches keep the stock leafs and just keep 35's so I don't have to mess with it.

You should not let this issue deter your consideration. As other have said and are right a good spray with Fluid Film or Amsoil HD will take care of most of the rust. I have Deavers and had them powder coated and CoronaRaptor is right, it's just breaking off due to the flexing. The fact is the factory leaf springs are the weak link in the rear suspension. If you want a better ride, no axle hop, better off-roading capabilities and 37's you will need either Deavers or Icons.

Not sure how far they are from you, but Attitude Performance does great work and can order and install them. https://attitudeperformance.com/