GEN 2 Occasional shudder at 80ish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Grimmwit

Grimmwit

Reaction score
You should ask for the road balance numbers. Sometimes if the number is too high, it cannot be overcome. Also, if the tires are flatspotted, it will never ride smooth. If the dealer used a good Hunter machine it should spit out the balance numbers.

I would hold out for a new set of tires. If it sat on the lot for a good while before you bought it, they may be flatspotted. I bought a new chevy that had sat on the lot for almost a year. All the balancing in the world didn't fix it. New tires and it was perfect.

I did - but the numbers I got back weren't what I was expecting. They were various values with existing weights, weights removed, then final numbers. All single digits before the work, then 0,0 after. Made me wonder if they really did a road force balance - but that's what was on the invoice and work order......

The truck was manufactured in Dec 2019, and I received it in late May 2020. So about six months of sitting. They were inflated to 50# when I received it - not sure if they could flat spot at that pressure.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Did you watch them road force balance? The machine will spin the tire then a roller contacts the tread to measure what kind of force is being applied to the roller. It's been about 8 years, but I remember the reading coming out in "pounds of road force". Above a certain number of pounds, the tire or wheel can be deemed defective or "too out of round".

It sounds like they just did a regular balance and spit out the weight of ounces that need to be applied?

OP
OP
Grimmwit

Grimmwit

Reaction score
Did you watch them road force balance? The machine will spin the tire then a roller contacts the tread to measure what kind of force is being applied to the roller. It's been about 8 years, but I remember the reading coming out in "pounds of road force". Above a certain number of pounds, the tire or wheel can be deemed defective or "too out of round".

It sounds like they just did a regular balance and spit out the weight of ounces that need to be applied?

Nah, the opportunity didn't present itself. I watched a few videos on road force balancing, so had a notion of what kind of numbers to expect. So was surprised with what I got. I'm inclined to agree on your conclusion.

I've heard good things about the next dealer down the road. I'll get them engaged next. Disappointed, as the dealer I went to has sold us two vehicles in the past, and I've always used their service center for routine maintenance. (Bought the truck out of OK; no one here wanted to deal).

Thanks for the feedback.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Nah, the opportunity didn't present itself. I watched a few videos on road force balancing, so had a notion of what kind of numbers to expect. So was surprised with what I got. I'm inclined to agree on your conclusion.

I've heard good things about the next dealer down the road. I'll get them engaged next. Disappointed, as the dealer I went to has sold us two vehicles in the past, and I've always used their service center for routine maintenance. (Bought the truck out of OK; no one here wanted to deal).

Thanks for the feedback.
You can also go down to a discount tire, I believe they all have good hunter machines. You'll have to pay a few $$, but at least you'll have proof. Time is money, and all that.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to another dealer to have them look at it. If they come back with the same thing, go with them on the drive. It could be a bad brake disk, axle, shock or suspension bushing. It's all things that can cause it.

Reaction score
Might sound nuts, but try taking off the antenna or replacing with stock. I know of someone who have a thump above 60mph.The mechanic tried to figure it out for a week. Turns out the tennis ball he put on the antenna was hitting the body and creating a thump.

TMart

Reaction score
I had a similar problem right at 80mph with a lot of road noise, but I have 48k miles on my tires. Road force balance solved about 75% of the problem, but I know I'm due for tires coming up soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grimmwit

Grimmwit

Reaction score
Updating this thread. Took the truck in for oil change, tire rotation and alignment yesterday. They were unable to do the alignment citing “Left tie rods have play. Unable to determine inner or outer. Right outer tie rod has vertical play.“Truck has 17500 miles on it. Mostly babied.

Suspect this is due to the issues I described when I first posted this, which had subsided over time.

This was the dealer quick lane shop. They indicated this is covered under warranty. Calling tomorrow to schedule service. Hopefully parts availability won’t be an issue.