no locked diff or 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so i got stuck yesterday (details eventually) as i was first trying to get unstuck, my locked diff didnt lock. i was a one wheel hole digger. buried me so quick....... icon on dash shows diff is locked no noises, grinding etc. where do i start looking?

also, i have no 4wd. put it in 4wd and the front wheels strain a little bit but never fully engages. no grinding, popping, or any normal 4wd problem sounds. just shows 4wd. where do i start here?

if i had a working locked diff and 4wd i wouldnt have had to spend 2 hours unstuckifying myself.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne i need your jedi guidance please
Since the diff lock icon was showing it was engaged, it’s likely a mechanical issue within the rear differential. TCCM, wiring, and solenoid issues will typically result in a “CHECK LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL” message in the IPC.

There is no partial engagement mode in the transfer case, so if it’s getting some torque to the front axle I’d suspect a hub issue. We’re you able to verify if both axles were locked to the hub?

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the diff lock icon was showing it was engaged, it’s likely a mechanical issue within the rear differential. TCCM, wiring, and solenoid issues will typically result in a “CHECK LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL” message in the IPC.

There is no partial engagement mode in the transfer case, so if it’s getting some torque to the front axle I’d suspect a hub issue. We’re you able to verify if both axles were locked to the hub?
yes. i just replaced the boots on the axles and i specifically made sure the axles were locked in completely on both ends.

where should i start looking at the rear diff? mechanical meaning something in the pumpkin?

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff. On flat ground have someone activate the 4wd switch and someone else verify that the 4wd actuator motor on the transfer-case is functioning. Obviously, be careful under a running truck.

*Edit to add* Also check the IWE solenoid on the firewall and related vacuum tubing. Since you said the front axles appeared to be locked to the hubs, I wouldn’t think this is the issue, but never-the-less…

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the rear diff, the electrical conector for the E-Locker is in the top L side of the pumpkin when looking at it from the back (cover side) Make sure the wires didnt get snagged on something. I had 1 fray off right at the connector so it looked good until I got down there and unplugged it.
Did the same thing. Gauge said activated locker but she was a 1 wheel peel....

Not being able to spin front wheel seems odd to me... not sure what ya got going on there. They either work or they don't when in 4WD

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first GUESS is going to be transfer case shift motor and/or IWEs since I have had to work on both of those myself.
Reading about the wiring to the rear diff letting dash light on even though not connection to locker, would send me that route.
Hope easy fix.
Good luck with it.