No crank and stranded HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamie Simpson

Reaction score
2010 6.2 with 164k gave me a “check brake system” light a few times on my way to Missouri pulling an empty car hauler. When I checked it I found no issues and no codes showed up. When I shut it off the light went away and would sporadically reappear. I pickup a 78 ford and head home.

In the mountains in Arkansas running at a good clip the brake system light came back on. Since brakes were working fine and guages were all good I ignored the light. Ten minutes later the traction control light came on, then the hill descent, then the dash went crazy. Every warning light in there flashed one after another and the chime started. I look for an exit and find one a couple miles later. As I exit the tach and the Speedo shut down and both heat guages shutdown. Then they come back. Then back off then on. I pull to a gas station and shut it down to check her out. It shows no visible issues so I try to start it and power comes on but it won’t crank at all. I tried all I knew but couldn’t get it to crank.

I have it towed to the stealership and they have been diagnosing it for three days now and still don’t know what’s up. I’m seven hours from home and 1000 bucks plus in and no clue what’s up. The stealer ship is telling me they’re waiting on a call from the Ford hotline about a pinpoint test, but they’ve been waiting on that call since yesterday afternoon and I am at a loss as to what I should do at this point. I have the motel that’s close I’ve been staying at but I’m 400 bucks into it and two or 300 into the tow service. I’m running out of money and I can’t abandon my stuff here and take off. I’m not sure what to do. Has anybody had anything like this happened to him?
I’ve been a member for a couple years, but never had to post because my trucks never giving me problems. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is the truck all stock?
have they tried a new battery?
were any DTC’s found?

OP
OP
J

Jamie Simpson

Reaction score
Truck is stock excepting wheels and tires and a trailer brake actuator. Code that returned after he cleared an old minor evap leak code was the Restraint Control Module so he removed console and isn’t convinced that is the issue. Apparently the hotline pinpoint text told him to remove and replace the RCM but he thinks that will be a bandaid and I won’t get the 7 hours home before it breaks again so he sent them his opinion (and the service manager agrees) to “save the customer from an unnecessary expense and another breakdown” Battery is two months old and checks out good.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Have you checked the wiring and harnesses for signs of damage - to the extent you can? the “Christmas Tree” on the dash has been seen after rodent damaging the harness...

Chewie

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading your post, it sounded like one of my old, 2014, silverados. Freakin electrical gremlins and it ultimately ended up having bad grounds. To frame and under dash. Cleaned those and added another from the battery and never had another issue again.
Hope it’s something simple as that for you.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extremely unlikely to be an RCM. Not only because it doesn’t align with the symptoms whatsoever, but also because the RCM is one of the most robust electrical components on the vehicle due to being safety critical. Years ago we had messages cascaded from engineering telling us that techs were misdiagnosing airbag faults and every RCM they were getting back tested good.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leave the Raptor at the dealership
Maybe check online for customer reviews, specifically for checking out electrical gremlins? You might get lucky and find a recommendation for a better shop in the area for diagnosing it.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can get someone to get you to Memphis with your 78 in tow I will get you to Knoxville or ATL your Choice. rusty and trusty Ain't much to ride in but she will get you that far. possibly someone here will take you the rest of the way?