Newbie question about sand dunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BiggerBrick

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and would like to take it to the sand and see what she can do! I have read several threads and watched plenty of videos on "must haves" and techniques for driving in the sand...but a buddy of mine also suggested having some sort of pre filter to cover the intake with - is this needed? If so, any recommendations? I haven't seen this discussed anywhere for Gen 2s...also, are beadlock wheels needed? and any tips for cleaning afterwards or prepping before hand to make cleaning/preventing issues long term? Thanks in advance!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have the stock intake and filter system, you are good to go, if you have an aftermarket open air "cold air" filter, then most have an available "sock" to put over the filter. Beadlock wheels are not needed unless you are in race competition or inexperienced. Just air down to 15-20 psi and take all the traction control systems off (baja mode). Don't make the mistake of having your sunroof open or windows down around corners, the sand is a bit ch to get out of the cracks and crevices.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traction control needs to be COMPLETELY off. Putting it in Baja mode does not disable the entire system. You will need to press and hold for around 7 seconds the traction control button by the center display. A message on your dash will pop up saying advanced track disabled. 15PSI is good all around for stock tires. Bring a/a few air compressors and some sort of recovery gear. Don’t do quick fast turns when you’re aired down without actual beadlock rings. The ones that come with the truck from the factory are cosmetic only.

KOK JR

Reaction score
If you're going to Silver Lake, Duneland is located at the entrance. They have been very helpful to me over the years. I didn't know anything about driving on the sand. After four years going there, and having to be towed out of a hole I dug myself into, I know a little. The sand has been different depending on the weather. Sometimes hard packed, usually after rain. Sometimes very soft and powdery. The guys at Duneland will give you an idea of what it's like before you go out. They also suggested going in October in the middle of the week. Turned out to be a great time to go as sometimes we are the only vehicle in the park. As an added bonus we have seen some preproduction vehicles being tested. Last time it was two Hummer EV's. The engineers driving them were really cool. The knew a lot about my Raptor and gave us a thorough run-down on the Hummer. Hope you enjoy playing in the sand!