Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes NP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like fun. Always wanted to try my hand at sand driving. The sand hard roads down bere don't count. I have mastered the mud driving down here though

FFCJ

Reaction score
Without a doubt! I'm enroute to Moab. After this trail I'm doing Black Bear Pass then 3 days in Moab.
Be careful taking your Raptor over Black Bear Pass. I took it many years ago in a highly modified '69 Bronco and the switchbacks leading down into Telluride were a 3 point turn in that! From my memory, I would do it in my wife's JKR but would prefer it in my RZR 1000T. It is VERY tight on those switchbacks and I do not think my Raptor would make it. But I am "seasoned" and my memory may not be the best or the trail may have changed.
I would also listen to anyone that may have taken it recently in their Raptor.

Cribz

Reaction score
We passed a Suburban parked that the top of Blackbear some years ago. The driver was having a picnic lunch with his wife and two small children. While stopped for lunch in Telluride on main street a short time later, we were surprised to see the Suburban driving through town. I would think a Raptor would make it with careful spotting.

namelessca

Reaction score
Hey peeps, looking for some pointers/advice. Planning a trip to Moab in late August and hitting Great Sand Dunes NP on the way. I saw the Medano Pass Road was a nice back road into the park and I'm up for it. Only thing is I've never off roaded in sand. Any tips/pointers?? I just picked up a set of traction boards (Traction Boards) in the event anything happens. Obviously don't stop (like deep snow) but anyone else hit this road??
Chzhead: did you end up going East to West? How did the Raptor do? I've done deep sand before, but not river crossing, in mine. Planning to go in May/June next year.

OP
OP
Chzhead

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chzhead: did you end up going East to West? How did the Raptor do? I've done deep sand before, but not river crossing, in mine. Planning to go in May/June next year.
I went east to west so I finished in the park from Medono Pass. The brush needs to be trimmed up more, so the trail was a bit narrow for Raptors about mid way. Scratched the hell out of my clear coat but it was able to buff out.

I was worried about the sand as well but as long as you air down (I went down to 30 psi), keep it in 4L and don't stop, you're fine. The NPS has daily updates on the water depth on the parks site, https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/medano-creek.htm. I would think May/June the streams will be alot higher with the snow melt but stay on top of conditions.

I posted os trailcam videos of my trails here, https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/colorado-utah-fun.86342/#post-1672661