Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes NP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, looking for some pointers/advice. Planning a trip to Moab in late August and hitting Great Sand Dunes NP on the way. I saw the Medano Pass Road was a nice back road into the park and I'm up for it. Only thing is I've never off roaded in sand. Any tips/pointers?? I just picked up a set of traction boards (Traction Boards) in the event anything happens. Obviously don't stop (like deep snow) but anyone else hit this road??

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey peeps, looking for some pointers/advice. Planning a trip to Moab in late August and hitting Great Sand Dunes NP on the way. I saw the Medano Pass Road was a nice back road into the park and I'm up for it. Only thing is I've never off roaded in sand. Any tips/pointers?? I just picked up a set of traction boards (Traction Boards) in the event anything happens. Obviously don't stop (like deep snow) but anyone else hit this road??
I did an out and back on the sandy section this spring, but the underlying sand was still damp and I didn't have to air down. The pass was still closed due to snow. As was the seasonally operated air station at the Sand Dunes end of the road. If you do it east to west you can use the park's compressor to air up. You also go down the worst sand hill if you go that way.

OP
OP
Chzhead

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. So if it's dry sand then air down? And yes, I plan on coming in from the east (coming in from Wisconsin), it'll be the 2nd day of my trip.

tabshim

Reaction score
I/m certain you'll have a blast, pray its going to be dry sand so you'll enjoy it more.
- Air down your tires (if you're speeding, I would advise 18 psi Front and 15 psi Rear,, this will enable you facing the dune at an advantage ;-) otherwise both at 15 psi.
- No Acute turns when airing down below 15 psi
- Yes, don't slow down on deep and very soft sand unless you're stopping, if so no breaks. Take off very slowly don't let your tires spin, regardless of the terrain mode you're on.
- If you're stock, open the hood (for extra cooling) while engine is running, and move FWD & BKW slowly never above 1000-1500 RPM, with steering wheel turned to the extreme right then left in a repetitive way,, of course with the deep sand/snow mode on.
You may also try the Raptor's "Trail Control" to get you out of that.
Yes, keeping a shovel and some recovery boards will not hurt,, :cool:
Enjoy,,

Aurik

Reaction score
We are in Colorado Springs for my son’s birthday, and we plan to hit Great Sand Dunes NP next week. I’m planning on running the Medano Pass road while we are there. I’ve got a 12v air compressor and recovery strap, but not yet on the traction board. So the plan is air down to 15-18 psi before running over the deep sand? My raptor is pretty much stock.

FFCJ

Reaction score
Medano Pass is a great trail, although not too technical. I have taken my wife's JKR over it numerous times but not had the chance to take my Raptor over it ...yet. Lots of water crossings as you follow the creek most of the way. These are fairly easy when the water is low but intuitively much more difficult in the spring when the water is high. Rough and rocky but beautiful scenery.