New speakers and MTX thunderform Sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

festusrocks2001

Reaction score
Well I replaced my stock sub and speakers.
I have NAV and HAD sony premium speakers.

I used a MTX Thunderform made for F150 and fits under the pass. rear seat.
Replaced all door speakers with Focal 570's 5x7's.

Speakers sound much clearer and crisp(tested after just changing the fronts).
Sub rattles the truck!

Added the new sub right to the factory sub connection wiring. The MTX sub is set up for high level inputs. Went to the auto parts store and bought new spade connectors and did not cut ONE wire, no clamp-on's nothing that cannot be returned to stock (for resale). Did not have to hook up the remote turn on wire as the sub detects the high level inputs and turns on.

Ran the power wire through the big plug in the firewall as it has a "***" on it that was obviously designed for a new wire. I did not cut off the whole tip just about half and then cut an X and pushed the cable though. When you pull the cable out you cannot tell it is even modified. Ran the power wire through the door sills and up the corner at the back door. Then back across the floor and cut a new "T" in the carpet about 6" towards the drivers side and ran the sub power and the old factory outputs out his hole to let the sub lay flat on the floor. This has all the wires come up in the cut out on the sub box.

The sub has a remote gain control that is nice, mounted mine with Velcro on the side of the consol for now. Hard to drill a hole.....:crazy:.

Installed the speakers with the gasket, spacer and then the speaker's in the doors. Used the factory screws. I zip tied the extra wire in the door panels to the wiring in there and also installed dynamat extreme behind the speakers.
Used speaker adapter cables, can get these from Crutchfield, best buy...

Ordered a cheap door removal tool kit 5 piece. THIS IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. (Also used these to remove my SVT side covers)
Check on you tube to remove the door panels.

I did have a problem with the amp Connections as one pulled out of the connector. I reformed the plug and re-clamped the wire. Use a paper clip or scribe and remove these connections and use heat shrink to make the wire to spade connection is secure, then reinstall into the plastic connector.

If it has wheels and the radio's broke... I don't drive it!!

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Where to put heat shrink.JPG
    Where to put heat shrink.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 202

vosschs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey do you think you could give me some detailed dimensions on that box? I want to see if I can fit an 8, 10 or 12 ported box under the seat. Dimensions would help the planning immensely.

trailboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be the best value / performance audio upgrade available for those with the factory Nav / Sony system. The 94 db efficiency Focals live happily with the Sony amps for the most part.

cfabrizio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you order through Crutchfield? If so, did they have all the hardware needed to make it an easy swap (door panel removal tool, speaker connections, etc). I'm not much of a tech but usually figure out how to hook things up and make them work, so sorry to be a pain but I am having trouble understanding what you needed a spade connector for and what the problem with the amp was? This sounds like the setup that would work for me, just want to make sure that I get everything I need together so I don't have to make a bunch of trips once I get into the install.

thanks

OP
OP
F

festusrocks2001

Reaction score
Did you order through Crutchfield? If so, did they have all the hardware needed to make it an easy swap (door panel removal tool, speaker connections, etc). I'm not much of a tech but usually figure out how to hook things up and make them work, so sorry to be a pain but I am having trouble understanding what you needed a spade connector for and what the problem with the amp was? This sounds like the setup that would work for me, just want to make sure that I get everything I need together so I don't have to make a bunch of trips once I get into the install.

thanks

No worries
I ordered through Crutchfield and Sonix electronics.
I used the spade connectors because I removed the connections from the plug on the stock sub. I put the new spade connectors on the amp wiring and plugged the two up. If I wanted to put back to stock and sell the truck it would be no problem.

OP
OP
F

festusrocks2001

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the plug on the stock sub.
Same set up in the truck.
You just take out the white clip and then use a paper clip or scribe to push the lock down on the spade connector and pull it out of the plug.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 149