New Raptor at Dealership with 44 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May I assert my opinion that you're being WAY over the top. This is a Raptor, if the red line was hit on every pull of those 44 miles, who cares? And the probility of that is extremely low to begin with. Raptors aren't delicate flowers, and frankly GT3RS aren't either.
Yes. It’s a truck. Mine had 23,000 miles on it and it is all just fine.

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new 2011 explorer, it arrived with a decal affixed from Ford stating it was selected for quality testing, I think it arrived with 60 miles on it. My Raptor had about 11 miles on it. The gas station was close the dealership when they filled it for for delivery.

Yes, my OCD would normally get in the way with mileage on something I ordered from the factory. But I am in therapy to get over my issues. Lol.

I wouldn’t worry about the 44 miles. I would be concerned if it had more than 100 miles.

Good luck, I think you will be fine.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In 2011. Things may have changed since then.

Maybe not: "My 2019 was fresh off the truck. It was a coincidence that I stopped by the dealer in May 2019 to see if they had any Raptors and they were unloading the truck right in front of the dealer with a Raptor spec'd out exactly how I would have special ordered it. Needless to say I made a deal on it right then and there. Mine had 10 miles on it off the truck." - @Nickshu

banzai

Reaction score
Race engines, built to exacting tolerances and clearances can require a specific break in. Too much heat, too soon and thermal expansion can cause metal on metal friction, galling or other damage between internal working surfaces. Yes, the Germans like to manufacture to more precise standards, but even these are production engines, not purpose built race engines, designed to last only a handful of miles or hours.

Although the same break in theories apply, production engines are engineered with higher reliability in mind within the engines overall parameters, which translates to less stress on components and more clearances between some internals. With all the electronic management on todays vehicles, I'd have to say that the software may not actually record the maximum RPM for later retrieval, but would at least limit RPM's to a maximum, that was engineered to satisfy those overall parameters. You may not be happy that your truck has more miles or rev'd to the max, but I doubt either of those things would cause undo damage or a reduced lifespan.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lived close by the factory in Dearborn Michigan, you see brand new Raptors being driven from the plant to the rails and around all the time

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was ordered and I had them leave all the prep and plastic on it so that rail dust scratches did not get into the paint before arriving at the detailer. It arrived with 17 miles.

As far as test driving.... Over-reving a cold engine can cause damage and over-reving a brand new engine that is cold and during the break-in period, well...

Unless you are getting a deal for a truck on a lot then why not just order it new and now have to worrry about it?

Medic 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine as well. I requested to be called when it arrived and all the shipping plastic wrap was on the body, seats, and etc. I snagged the front license plate bracket out of the truck so the dealership wouldn’t install it.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do the engine hours show (total and idle hours)? I'd be more concerned w/a fresh engine idling for long periods of time in a showroom or on the lot while some looky-loo 'checks it out.' If otoh, the engine hours are still low (single digits) it's probably been driven around the factory lot, rail yard, distribution center and then the dealer. Is the gas tank full? Someone had to drive it to the station and back.