New Owner San Diego

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a phone or tablet, you have to get an external GPS receiver. Phones and tablets don't update fast enough to use for real-time off-road navigation. You won't lose signal, so they would fine for just periodically stopping to check your direction, but they aren't fast enough for desert use.

I've been on so many runs with people that are constantly turning around because they missed a turn and are now off trail. So many times. It is funny for a while. Lowrance is where it's at.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you use a phone or tablet, you have to get an external GPS receiver. Phones and tablets don't update fast enough to use for real-time off-road navigation. You won't lose signal, so they would fine for just periodically stopping to check your direction, but they aren't fast enough for desert use.

I've been on so many runs with people that are constantly turning around because they missed a turn and are now off trail. So many times. It is funny for a while. Lowrance is where it's at.

Definitely makes sense. Can imagine the resolution compared to Lowrance is much less and obviously the signal and speed.

OP
OP
Cheskonator

Cheskonator

Reaction score
Welcome. PM me if you want to head out sometime. First mod should be a VHF radio. Second mod should be some sort of off-road GPS setup. They are less flashy, but essential for off-road.

Happy to run out to Ocotillo any time.

Thanks for the recommendation. Does anyone have any experience with rugged radios. Specifically handheld units. I have some friends with some that we have used on trail rides (enduro) and they seem to do a damn good job of having range and being portable.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have experience with them specifically, but I've never seen a handheld have similar range as a mounted unit. Rugged Radios has a Prerunner section, that's what you're looking for. You want VHF frequencies in the 150 to 175MHz. Careful if you venture outside of the off-road world to get it as a lot of them will be receive only. I had to solder something on my Yaesu to enable transmit. You have a truck, no reason to limit your range with a handheld.

54Bravo

Reaction score
Hey guys, just posting up for to say hi! Im out of San Diego, Ive been a car guy and more specifically a motorcycle guy my whole life and this last piece really fits the puzzle for me. Picked up a 2018 White Raptor with about 60k miles. Pretty much fully loaded 802A etc, only modifications are some lights on the front.

Pretty stoked as I probably saw about 15 trucks before settling on this one.
Nice ride bro, I love the white color with contrasting black decals and trim. I'm also a new Raptor owner down in Chula Vista, purchased the Raptor up in Wisconsin last week and I'm chompin at the bit waiting for the transportation company to pick it up and deliver it. Got a Magnetic metallic color and cant wait to start the mods... Happy trucking.

54Bravo

Reaction score
Thought I added, these. Second day with the truck took it up a short trail on Palomar mountain up into the snow and into the night. She didnt even breathe heavy.

y20jk7C.jpg

7PQRUbp.jpg
How do you get to the entrance to the trail. Want to explore all that SD has to offer... Thanks

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or Mecca for a US based Raptor, Anza Borrego/Ocotilo Wells. Any time someone wants to experience what a desert run is like, but I don't want them with me for multiple days, I do a day trip out east. I like to do lunch in Borrego Springs, its nice to take a little break after 2 hours over the mountains. Then head to Fonts Point, the wash up there is so wide and full of cars that shouldn't be there; I always enjoy ripping by them at 60+mph because their Acrua SUV can only do 10. The view is incredible if you've never seen it. Next, I find somewhere to drop into the rest of the desert (the wash at Fonts Point does not) and off-road over to the 78. If we have time, I'll stop by the slot canyon on the way home.

There is a ton of cool stuff in Anza Borrego. Close to the 78, you can go to the Pumpkin Patch or Split Mountain, although a Raptor won't fit through the narrowest part so you have to turn around. Closer to the 8, you can do a small off-road and long hike (6.5mi each way) to Goat Canyon Trestle.