New Leveling Option - SDI Upper Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This link has a good discussion on the impact of preload on droop. https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/spring-preload-matters/
In short, in addition to the ride height change, adding preload will cause the spring to extend with relatively more force at the more extreme droop extensions. On my gen 2, I tried 3/4" preload (1.5" ride height) on my Fox Factory set up, and I hated it. In large part, this was because the truck had less down travel, and because of how hard it hit the full end of that down travel. This article helps explain that. I think it is also important for everyone reading this to understand that the collar or SDI spacers create 1.5" of lift (or whatever the number is), not by being 1.5" high, but through a 2:1 ratio (so 1.5" lift is actually a 0.75" spacer - or it should be). I ended up lowering my truck to have 3/8 preload on the Factory coilovers, to achieve 3/4" of added ride height, and was quite happy with that. Another thing to consider is that by moving the truck's static height, you change the point at which the various bypass valves are engaged. Too much and you're out of the engineered range, and the bypass valves aren't doing the right things at the right times. Finally, for live valve trucks, it is important to reset the computer to a new zero static ride height. Otherwise the shocks will be instructed by the computer to do things you don't want, as the computer thinks something else is happening based on the read of shock position.

thank you for the more eloquent explanation of what I have been saying. I am glad I am not the only one that has demonstrated that a 1.5" lift collar (3/4" thick) yields an undesirable ride and shock topping out harshly when quick down travel is created.

I have no experience with anything that able to do just 3/8", however it is good to hear it worked well for you. Being it is such a minimal lift, to would figure to be much better.

I look forward to the release and reviews of these SDI top hats as they seem promising.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d love to see some pics of them installed with detailed images of different angles of the vehicle, with the wheels straight, to determine if in fact they are less preload than the 1.5” perch collars.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is basically like a top hat spacer more or less? (In regards to only lift height)

Less like a top hat spacer and more like a lift collar. On all the cheap (and bad) top hat spacers they move the entire coilover assembly down, creating issues at full bump and also binding up the CVs at full droop. These dont move the position of the coilover up or down in relation to stock but they do move down the upper coil seat to achieve SDI's desired amount of lift.

A21BCF43-A9D2-426E-9379-AD7F75684FC7.jpeg