New Leveling Option - SDI Upper Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed the guys over at Level Up in October right when these came out and was told that it is right around 5/8"-0.75" of added preload.

Thanks! As hyrepower mentioned above, if they’re preloading .75”, that is going to net 1.5” of lift, and I guess I don’t see the difference/advantage of this solution over something cheaper like rpg collars.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! As hyrepower mentioned above, if they’re preloading .75”, that is going to net 1.5” of lift, and I guess I don’t see the difference/advantage of this solution over something cheaper like rpg collars.
Im not sure why they can’t offer an exact amount of preload. To give a range of 5/8" - 3/4" is not very helpful. If it were 5/8" and then they provided 1/8" of spacer lift above the strut, then it would theoretically ride a bit better than a preload collar with the same lift, as they preload the spring about 1/8" less than the collar would, but regain that lift with a spacing the strut in between the strut tower.

I haven't been able to get a precise answer to this.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding a spacer above the shock assembly is a pretty big no no in my book, and causes a lot of stress to the ball joints and tie rod ends. I know SDi wouldn’t engineer their product that way.

The advantage to this top hat vs a collar is it replaces the stock top hat with a more robust unit. I’ve personally never seen one fail though.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding a spacer above the shock assembly is a pretty big no no in my book, and causes a lot of stress to the ball joints and tie rod ends. I know SDi wouldn’t engineer their product that way.

The advantage to this top hat vs a collar is it replaces the stock top hat with a more robust unit. I’ve personally never seen one fail though.
That is probably the main reason I would consider the SDI method over a perch spacer.

Gen 1 geiser on bottom perch, one stud was holding it together.

For record, they were not the original top hats, I purchased new ones and I cannot remember if they were motorcraft or other.

1EA8616E-169D-49C2-9B11-EB3CAB974BD8.jpeg

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it were more than 1/8" thick, I would agree. However 1/8" - 3/16" I would not assume would be able to over extend anything on down travel.

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have these installed and if so any pics?

i just bit the bullet and purchased these with the full E-Click Pro setup for my 2017, I will do a detailed post and pics once I get everything in hand. Everyone I have spoke to about the E-Click setup has had nothing but RAVE reviews so needless to say im pumped.

Big shout out to Rick at Freedom Motorsports for amazing customer service.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I would sure love to know how you get more than .5" of lift without preload being added? You are mistaken as the top plate, doesnt add preload, but only gives .5" of lift. If you want additional lift (.75" or higher) you obviously need preload and that is what a coil spacer is. It adds PRELOAD.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on the SDi top hats. I stand corrected, they do use a combination of preload on the spring as well as thicken the material above the shock assembly to act as a thin spacer, so they put less preload on the spring than the RPG 1.5 collars do. Decided to give them a whirl along with the E-Clik pro.