New engine needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fish_scales

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Dealership is saying my truck will need a new engine.

Brought my truck in last week for rattle during cold start, they changed oil and filter saying that aftermarket filters can rattle. They kept my truck overnight, cold started it in the morning, technician reported no more rattle.

I took the truck home, very next day I cold started it, boom rattle still there. I was video tapping this very first cold start cause I did not believe an oil filter would cause the rattle.

Called dealership and they said to bring the truck in, truck was kept over night so they can cold start it in the morning. This time they hear the noise and service advisor called me and said my truck will need a new engine and that the bearings in lower end are bad.
Truck was at Ford maybe 6 or so months ago for cam phasers and now this.

Truck is 2018 with 43k miles on it.

Has anyone else had this happen?
What can I do or should be done?

Just irritated that the truck is basically 2 years old with all these engine issues. And I’m guessing in 17k more miles the truck will be out of power train warranty?

Thanks in advance.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Sweet, sounds like you get a whole new engine. Hopefully it will have the latest greatest parts.
If you get a decent loaner, I would be happy to have a new engine in my 2 year old truck. That's me though.
I have an 18 with 43k also, no rattle though.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they say what they mean by new engine?

Long block? Short block? Makes a difference.

I’d want to know what is going in new, and what they intend to reuse.

Crate engine, awesome.

Short block, reuse heads and what not, I might be a little more concerned.

If they say short block, you’re going to want to know why the bearings are scored in the old engine, and be certain none of the old parts are problematic on the new short block.

@FordTechOne One may be able to chime in and give you some educated questions to ask, and tell you what Ford’s standard protocol is in these situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fish_scales

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. I’ll give the service rep a call today and try to get more info.

I know the cam phasers are a known issue but are bearings in lower end a known issue?

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I’ve read about. Bearings usually go bad in one of a few ways. Bad oiling, lugging the engine, foreign substance. Im sure there are other ways, but those are the most common I’ve heard about.

I haven’t read of any issues where cam phasers have been a cause.

Were you experiencing any odd symptoms, or noises before? (Other than the start up rattle.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the cam phasers. I’d go to another dealership. I’ve never heard of a oil filter rattle on a cold start. Did they check visually it was the bearings or are they just guessing? Bearings would be a consistent noise, not only on cold start.

2018 tells me phasers.

OP
OP
F

fish_scales

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold start only.

Now they are saying it’s cam phasers again.
Has anyone had them changed twice in less then a year?