New 2017 Raptor, New Section.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EXrider

Reaction score
I hate this saying, the replacement for displacement is technology.

Not a fan of the new truck though.

Your hate for the saying is only rational if you can't apply the same technology to the 6.2 to reliably match or beat the EB's power ratings. Sure, the 6.2 isn't direct injected, but you can throw forged internals in it and some forced induction on it and still come out way ahead. Or, you can stay NA and not sound like a vacuum cleaner if show is more important to go to you.

Of course, some of those things void your warranty, assuming you still have one. As much as it pains me to say this (I work in IT) more Technology doesn't always = real world (practical) reliability.

I don't hate the EB at all, just calling it as I see it, time will tell either way. If I got an EB, the first thing I'd do is take the PCV out of the intake tract and put it in a catch can assembly.

Last edited:

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be the downer to this new engine guys. I am sorry if my views make some upset. I just really like the sound of my v-8 and I know theres a lot more on the table I can get out of it.
I will buy one of the new trucks when it comes out. I like the new truck. Not too big on the tailgate though.
Whatever RAPTOR we all get, we all have the awesomest trucks ever made. From 2010 to 2017....these trucks are bad to the bone and I love them all.

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's next? A v6 Vette?

Damn EPA...

Technically speaking the Vette can be a 4 banger. Cylinder deactivation. It sucks, sounds terrible but it does enable them to skate a gas guzzler tax. I had it programmed out of mine.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how you come to the conclusion that the V8 can beat the lighter, better geared, more HP V6. They ran the EcoBoost V6 through the Baja1000 as a torture test. It's strong motor. I'm not a fan of it, but I just don't see your argument. I've owned a LOT of TT cars and without exception they have all picked up 50-100hp with just a simple tune. To get an extra 100hp out of the 6.2 V8 requires a supercharger. I'd still rather have the 5.2 or 5.0 motor with a cam.

How many races did that v6 eco boost win? Im sure it held up ok but I am wanting to see how it did competing with the rest of the competition. I mean my weedeater weed eats great as I am cutting grass but my john deere tractor is definitely the king around my house for cutting grass.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes! V8s are great when they are modern V8s. The 6.2L V8 is not modern. Anyone know the weight difference between the 6.2L V8 vs. the 3.5L Eco boost?

Seen a lot of off-road ecoboost trucks and they're fine

And they're fast! Plus getting the weight of the heavy pig 6.2l off the nose is going to be great

Last edited:

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but as a factory offering the new Raptor will outperform the current model. And new owners will be able to upgrade too with new intercoolers and turbos once aftermarket catches up.

As far as current owners wanting to upgrade their engines, I think that goes wihout sayiing because with enough money you could make the Raptor fly, float, or both but still doesn't detract from the fact that the new factory offering will be a better peformer over the last one. As for long term durability, that might be a different discussion over time.

The Raptor won't sound like a rice burner; I ran a Full Race aftermarket exhaust on the Eco and while not nearly as cool sounding as either the 5.0L or 6.2L, it actually sounded quite sporty especially with the turbo spool under WOT and was a far cry from being ricey! I am sure the Ford guys improved more so. But the 6.2L will always sound better IMHO.

I am still buying one. :)

Sporty eh? Well, I got cute all wrapped up. Let's try sporty!

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many races did that v6 eco boost win? Im sure it held up ok but I am wanting to see how it did competing with the rest of the competition. I mean my weedeater weed eats great as I am cutting grass but my john deere tractor is definitely the king around my house for cutting grass.

I'm just arguing with you because you're wrong every time you speak, not because I'm a fan of the V6. The Raptor got 5th in class in stock form when they ran it in 2009 in Baja. I don't know what place the EcoBoost truck got but I assume it did well. It didn't win, nor did the V8 so your point it moot.

Nobody is arguing with you that we enjoy our V8s more than the V6. We're saying that you saying that the V8 will outrun the V6 is wrong. Because it won't.

Now, I'm not sure how I feel about paddle shifters or a 10 speed. That's just excessive. Can I get a sequential 6 speed?