New 2017 Raptor, New Section.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Looks like there will be a lot more than just Off Road Mode...

"The four-wheel-drive system in the next-gen Raptor will include a Terrain Management with settings for Normal driving, Street driving, Weather mode (for rain, snow or ice), Mud and Sand, Baja mode and Rock mode. According to Ford, the Raptor's new transfer case is designed to work as both a locking unit for crawling and a full-time unit for other off-road applications. A Torsen front differential will be optional."

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More overall power is good, but there's no replacement for displacement! Hopefully that helps hold the resale on our 6.2's!

I hate this saying, the replacement for displacement is technology.

Not a fan of the new truck though.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but as a factory offering the new Raptor will outperform the current model. And new owners will be able to upgrade too with new intercoolers and turbos once aftermarket catches up.

As far as current owners wanting to upgrade their engines, I think that goes wihout sayiing because with enough money you could make the Raptor fly, float, or both but still doesn't detract from the fact that the new factory offering will be a better peformer over the last one. As for long term durability, that might be a different discussion over time.

The Raptor won't sound like a rice burner; I ran a Full Race aftermarket exhaust on the Eco and while not nearly as cool sounding as either the 5.0L or 6.2L, it actually sounded quite sporty especially with the turbo spool under WOT and was a far cry from being ricey! I am sure the Ford guys improved more so. But the 6.2L will always sound better IMHO.

I am still buying one. :)

Ill still buy one too. Yes your right these new turbo v-6's hold their own. I just know that v8 can outperform the 6 if it wanted to. If this new truck is priced 70 grand and I bought mine for 46 grand then I have ALOT of excess money to make her wax that v6.
If these turbos are not going to hold up then the current 6.2 raptor can stay stock and outrun that new truck when a belt is blown off as out non turbo trucks don't have to worry about that.
I still want my v-8 sound. Sounds the best over the others.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm telling you guys right now do not write-off the TT V6. My car has a 2.0L direct injection 4cyl with a twin scroll turbo pushing 26lbs of boost. All of this gets me 360HP and nearly 30MPG on the highway. It is an absolute blast to drive and there's never any shortage of power. Max torque starts at 2200 RPMs all the way to red line. I'm a believer on built turbo engines running high boost. More boost=more efficiency.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember, with enough time and money, you can do anything.

The old no replacement for displacement saying is old school thinking. I'm not knocking the v8 by no means, but just saying the TT v6 will hold its ground and then some. The v8 has 25% more rotational mass that you have to account for as well.

Go listen to some Baja v6 and I6 buggies, they can still "thump" depending on the setup and boy do they scream. I'm curious how the stock exhaust will compare as well.

Ill take the v-8. The truck deserves to be a v-8 vs a v-6. Price difference between that 2017 and mine will probably be a big gap so ill use the money I saved and make my 2014 outrun it and sound the best among them all.
Yes technology has helped a lot but at the end of the day you can only get what you can get out of an engine.

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
]I just know that v8 can outperform the 6 if it wanted to. If this new truck is priced 70 grand and I bought mine for 46 grand then I have ALOT of excess money to make her wax that v6.
If these turbos are not going to hold up then the current 6.2 raptor can stay stock and outrun that new truck when a belt is blown off as out non turbo trucks don't have to worry about that.
I still want my v-8 sound. Sounds the best over the others.

I'm not exactly sure how you come to the conclusion that the V8 can beat the lighter, better geared, more HP V6. They ran the EcoBoost V6 through the Baja1000 as a torture test. It's strong motor. I'm not a fan of it, but I just don't see your argument. I've owned a LOT of TT cars and without exception they have all picked up 50-100hp with just a simple tune. To get an extra 100hp out of the 6.2 V8 requires a supercharger. I'd still rather have the 5.2 or 5.0 motor with a cam.