Need your guy’s help! Ford denying engine rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll make sure bullet points here
For a full timeline, for those that are interested.
-truck for sale at dodge dealership.
-everything checks out except for a shudder/rattle.
-talk to Ford before purchase. They say it’s not phasers, sounds normal, and truck is under warranty.
-have dodge double check that everything is ok.
-buy truck.
-first week, take to Ford for PCM update. Ask about rattle again, they say normal.
-4 weeks in, check everything before 700 mi weekend road trip.
-5 weeks in, truck low oil pressure and oil leak.
-oil still on stick, oil pressure goes off. So drive truck to parking spot. Tow to Ford.
-wait 2.5 months for Ford to look at truck. Still under powertrain warranty.

Chapter 2
-yesterday: Ford calls, says it had 1 quart of oil, was draining from aftermarket drain plug (I didn’t know was there).
-Ford says “prior owner was a customer, had an intercooler and tune removed before sale because truck was having issues and they had blackballed his warranty”
-I ask why non of this was told to me before I bought it (as I had inquired with them about its history prior to purchase)
-Ford says “it doesn’t show up in the system, we just know”
-Ford says it’s my fault.
-I call Ford corporate, they say “as far as we can tell you DO have a warranty on the truck” - I get a recording of the conversation.
-Ford dealer says, we’ll it’s a moot point, as the aftermarket drain plug caused the issue, and even though you shut the truck down and did you’re due diligence, the drain plug hiding in there means Ford won’t warranty.

Side note, before we went on our weekend vacation, I noticed a leak at the front of the engine. It didn’t look to be a fast leak, so I had planned on bringing it in the following week.
See picture.
I wonder if the " ford knows ", is from Ford pass app seeing Top speeds achieved with that vin number . I never enabled mine on my 19 and when it was checked . Vin not authorized otherwise they would of seen a few 130mph runs.

Attachments

• Inkednoinfo raptor_LI.jpg
    Inkednoinfo raptor_LI.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll add one more thing.
The “rattle” that I brought it in for a couple weeks prior to this whole thing,
After the PCM update they said “it’s normal. They are noisy engines”
This is what I was referring to:

And I feel like an idiot for not being adamant to them that it’s not normal lol.

It sounds like it’s being starved for oil on the top end. Since the aftermarket drain plug was leaking, this probably isn’t the first time it’s been ran low on oil. The damage may have already been done at the time you purchased it. If they pull the cams they’ll probably find heavy scoring on the cam caps, which is a direct indication of damage caused by low oil level.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have. I bought it from a dodge dealership in town, that on a general level maintains a good reputation.
What specifically is missing?
So it sounds like original owner had issues. Ford Dealer said it had mods and tune. Would not touch it. Original owner dumped it at dodge dealer. Because ford dealer most likely not take it on trade . Dodge had no clue of issues if it's not on any oasis report. I don't know what I would do. Correct way to replace engine and with new clean ecm . But who pays? Dodge dealer? It's a situation man.

Last edited:

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it, who changed the oil last? If the dealer did, go back on them because they did not do something right. It’s not the drain plugs fault, it’s the installation or operation during the oil change.
I mentioned and agree 100% on that. I personally would be sneaky and ask for the service record for the truck since it was taken in at the dealership as I would think they would have a record of it in house, and if that's the case you may have a leg to stand on to prove someone knew it was there. It's a absolute shame it takes no effort to put in a proper drain plug

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most dealers service vehicles before a sale. If you’re plan don’t work, then go to the sales manger a tell them they never serviced it as promised when you bought it. You would have done it if you knew it needed it. If they come up with a record, take it as proof they were the last one to work on it. They left it loose or stripped it or did something wrong. Stand up for you’re work and pay for my engine or I’ll hire an attorney with this evidence to prove you screwed up.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it, who changed the oil last? If the dealer did, go back on them because they did not do something right. It’s not the drain plugs fault, it’s the installation or operation during the oil change.

I mentioned and agree 100% on that. I personally would be sneaky and ask for the service record for the truck since it was taken in at the dealership as I would think they would have a record of it in house, and if that's the case you may have a leg to stand on to prove someone knew it was there. It's a absolute shame it takes no effort to put in a proper drain plug

Most dealers service vehicles before a sale. If you’re plan don’t work, then go to the sales manger a tell them they never serviced it as promised when you bought it. You would have done it if you knew it needed it. If they come up with a record, take it as proof they were the last one to work on it. They left it loose or stripped it or did something wrong. Stand up for you’re work and pay for my engine or I’ll hire an attorney with this evidence to prove you screwed up.
AGREED 100%. This is what I was sayin back in post #6! I would have went down this route from the get go.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would bet once you can prove they were the last ones who changed the oil, they flip and say it leaked out the valve cover or where ever that front engine leak is coming from. Which starts a new search mission on who worked on it last, was there a warranty repair for the valve cover leak repair? Maybe cam phasers repair?