Need your guy’s help! Ford denying engine rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd cross every avenue you can before dropping money out of pocket, like others said about the oil change so here's my view as a mechanic. Sorry there's a ton to read so I may be reapeting what's been said. You had it for 5 weeks right? If it was resold at a dealer then they should have done a PM on it before sale which would hopefully put blame on the dealer. 5 weeks without checking the oil is a bit your fault and like what was said we all do it but something to keep on mind. If the truck lost 5 quarts of oil it would have been a massive mess where ever you parked and under the truck so what did you see under the truck? You may have a case in a consumer law but im no lawyer. Finally was it a shady no name dealer or a large dealer? Plus was it a ford dealer on top of that

OP
OP
WhereAreTheBrakes
Reaction score
If the truck was running okay the last time you drove it, I would take the dealer 6 qt of oil and a new filter and have them change the oil and the pan plug, in front of you, and leave.

True, it may have only had 1 qt at some point, but engines get louder when they don't have oil. Metal shavings? Meh. Change the oil and filter a couple times.

Unless they pulled the pan and you have spun bearings or something. I would run it. :)
Haha my kinda guy. Once I hear back from Ford corporate I’ll be pulling it into the shop to do just that.

OP
OP
WhereAreTheBrakes
Reaction score
I'd cross every avenue you can before dropping money out of pocket, like others said about the oil change so here's my view as a mechanic. Sorry there's a ton to read so I may be reapeting what's been said. You had it for 5 weeks right? If it was resold at a dealer then they should have done a PM on it before sale which would hopefully put blame on the dealer. 5 weeks without checking the oil is a bit your fault and like what was said we all do it but something to keep on mind. If the truck lost 5 quarts of oil it would have been a massive mess where ever you parked and under the truck so what did you see under the truck? You may have a case in a consumer law but im no lawyer. Finally was it a shady no name dealer or a large dealer? Plus was it a ford dealer on top of that
Understood. I had been checking the oil on a near weekly basis. And had checked it about 4 days before the incident. I did a big look-over before we went to an adjacent city 300 miles away for the weekend.
When the truck was towed to Ford, it sat in their lot since thanksgiving weekend. So about 2.5 months before they ever looked at it. I imagine any oil that was in there drained out in that time. We’ve had over 3 feet of snow since, so hard to figure what was lost during.
Regarding dealers, it was bought from the local dodge dealership. They changed the oil, had scanned for trouble codes and performed PM.

OP
OP
WhereAreTheBrakes
Reaction score
I’ll make sure bullet points here
For a full timeline, for those that are interested.
-truck for sale at dodge dealership.
-everything checks out except for a shudder/rattle.
-talk to Ford before purchase. They say it’s not phasers, sounds normal, and truck is under warranty.
-have dodge double check that everything is ok.
-buy truck.
-first week, take to Ford for PCM update. Ask about rattle again, they say normal.
-4 weeks in, check everything before 700 mi weekend road trip.
-5 weeks in, truck low oil pressure and oil leak.
-oil still on stick, oil pressure goes off. So drive truck to parking spot. Tow to Ford.
-wait 2.5 months for Ford to look at truck. Still under powertrain warranty.

Chapter 2
-yesterday: Ford calls, says it had 1 quart of oil, was draining from aftermarket drain plug (I didn’t know was there).
-Ford says “prior owner was a customer, had an intercooler and tune removed before sale because truck was having issues and they had blackballed his warranty”
-I ask why non of this was told to me before I bought it (as I had inquired with them about its history prior to purchase)
-Ford says “it doesn’t show up in the system, we just know”
-Ford says it’s my fault.
-I call Ford corporate, they say “as far as we can tell you DO have a warranty on the truck” - I get a recording of the conversation.
-Ford dealer says, we’ll it’s a moot point, as the aftermarket drain plug caused the issue, and even though you shut the truck down and did you’re due diligence, the drain plug hiding in there means Ford won’t warranty.

Side note, before we went on our weekend vacation, I noticed a leak at the front of the engine. It didn’t look to be a fast leak, so I had planned on bringing it in the following week.
See picture.

Attachments

• AC876A56-75E6-4921-923A-373C310C4988.png
    AC876A56-75E6-4921-923A-373C310C4988.png
    678.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 69DB2082-B5DA-4FAE-B38D-DF5472CF61FC.png
    69DB2082-B5DA-4FAE-B38D-DF5472CF61FC.png
    971.9 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
WhereAreTheBrakes
Reaction score
I’ll add one more thing.
The “rattle” that I brought it in for a couple weeks prior to this whole thing,
After the PCM update they said “it’s normal. They are noisy engines”
This is what I was referring to:

And I feel like an idiot for not being adamant to them that it’s not normal lol.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let that be a lesson to everyone. The engineers know a teensy weensy bit more than most. Leave well enough alone. Screw the mods. Uh, not those mods. Lol.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like an exhaust leak. Wonder if previous owner did some exhaust work (down pipes), then removed them and wasn't particular about tightening things back up.

I just remembered I once had the low oil pressure light come on once, for no good reason. It went away after restart. This doesn't explain your low oil situation, but if it all leaked out while you were driving, the underside and tailgate would be peppered with oil. If oil was burned you would see it in the rear view, I would think, if it went through 5 qts in a few miles.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clacking is the valve train from what it sounds and the other noise almost sounds like a belt squeal tbh. My engine sounds about the same as yours minus the added squeal. Take a long screw drive and put on the alternator and put the handle to your ear, you'll be able to pin point the other noise