Need help with new pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I didn't realize the truck still ran and everything. PCM is probably okay. That actually makes it easy to do yourself though. Or just take it to the dealer. Make sure you let the dealer know about that service bulletin though. When using IDS, the software won't recognize an aftermarket tune. Or a bricked tune in your case. You basically have to do a PMI without "inhaling" the current tune. Some trickery may be needed. Unfortunately the majority of dealer techs don't know the proper procedure for this scenario. It is rare, so I can't blame them.

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
Ok, so I didn't realize the truck still ran and everything. PCM is probably okay. That actually makes it easy to do yourself though. Or just take it to the dealer. Make sure you let the dealer know about that service bulletin though. When using IDS, the software won't recognize an aftermarket tune. Or a bricked tune in your case. You basically have to do a PMI without "inhaling" the current tune. Some trickery may be needed. Unfortunately the majority of dealer techs don't know the proper procedure for this scenario. It is rare, so I can't blame them.
It’s not on the tune anymore it won’t read the stock tune properly so can’t even, on top that had 4 CEL relating to ecu while on stock tune. I think the overrevving has to do with the long tube headers losing low end torque but I wouldn’t be sure yet.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much would this cost, plus I’m not trying to have the truck sit inside the dealership for a week or two just for an examination. Although im almost certain the trucks ecu was fried, are there key symptoms of a fried ecu? I’m on stock tune right now
It would just be labor. It should take less than 30 mins start to finish. So I’d just expect to pay the minimum 1 hour Shop labor rate.

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
It would just be labor. It should take less than 30 mins start to finish. So I’d just expect to pay the minimum 1 hour Shop labor rate.
This is just for reprogramming the module correct? I believe they’ve done that before while I had the tune on dunno whether that messed some stuff up a little or not lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is just for reprogramming the module correct? I believe they’ve done that before while I had the tune on dunno whether that messed some stuff up a little or not lol
No, it’s a recovery procedure listed in that GSB. Normal programming is PMI, this is a key-off session that restores the factory calibration. Probably at least worth having them try it before you drop $1k+ on a PCM.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
No, it’s a recovery procedure listed in that GSB. Normal programming is PMI, this is a key-off session that restores the factory calibration. Probably at least worth having them try it before you drop $1k+ on a PCM.
When I first bought my truck I had this done just to make sure I was starting from scratch. Also needed a new master Mkey or whatever can’t remember. They only charged me for the key itself. As stated it’s an easy procedure that the service advisor did in about 20 minutes. Definitely recommend you start there. Be honest about what you’re doing and 50/50 they won’t charge you.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and get out there and try the suggestions even if you tried it already. verify every step was done correctly and double check then triple check. once its been done again for the 3rd or 4th time then lets proceed. but think if it this way, you use the computers uninstall program to remove stuff on your computer? try to reinstall the same program again and it still recognizes that the program was on your computer before? same theory here. might have an issue with the uninstall or reinstall process where little bits of info are creating problems. i dont know enough about tuners, but kenwood head units suck to update because of software issues. just retrace your steps and try again. many times have i had something not work right and i go nuts trying to figure it out and then 4 hours of asking questions and searching later, i redo the process and then it magically works. not sure i did anything different, but for some reason it worked. at least at that point you can say you have tried every suggestion listed here

OP
OP
thegrays

thegrays

Reaction score
Okay so I pulled the other 3 codes that disappear shortly after attempting to flash. P0600, p060a, and uo300. U0422 stays but those 3 codes will appear right after flashing then go away. Note no CEL whilst truck it running