NEED HELP, on new purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PPI have only told me basic things like yea need tires, washer fluid, wiper blades...I need to know much deeper issues..I don't do PPI anymore. When you already know what to look for these basics don't do much. Sending it to a whipple or performance shop to run a tune check is not PPI

Find the most local place that races cars and has a shop. I live in central IL and there isn’t shit around me, but there is one and those guys know what they’re talking about.

They will usually shoot you straight too. I went through four choices before I got one that passed their PPI. As always, your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Whipple said it's probably the throttle body. They said the large ones have issues like this...still trying to talk to them to find out what if anything can be done

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PPI have only told me basic things like yea need tires, washer fluid, wiper blades...I need to know much deeper issues..I don't do PPI anymore. When you already know what to look for these basics don't do much. Sending it to a whipple or performance shop to run a tune check is not PPI

One could also say that the latter is also a PPI.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whipple said it's probably the throttle body. They said the large ones have issues like this...still trying to talk to them to find out what if anything can be done

Does Whipple recognize the VIN?
MTF has a pretty good understanding of the Whipple Raptor. Like he said, does the truck come with the handheld to get a tune if need be? The pictures also show dual exhaust, so maybe its got headers or has issues with O2 sensors (common)

For sub $38k, I would not be afraid of this truck per say. But I also know the risk of jumping into a modified vehicle that has unknown history. I would take the flight to inspect it thoroughly myself before buying it. You can see from the Auto Trader pics that they detailed the inside/outside but the truck has been mudding a time or two.

Are you mechanically inclined? Can you swap vacuum line etc to try and fix this yourself? If NO then you probably want to find a different truck.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Whipple shop was closed today. Does anyone know a fix for the throttle body issue?

Also, are these trucks slow without the SC?

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Slow isn't exactly the way to describe them. It really depends on you, are you looking to drag all the ricers at the stop lights or are you going to take it off road and run it in its element? High-speed off road; horsepower is hardly the biggest weakness, your not going to struggle passing on the highway, and you will light the tires up from a stand still if you get too happy with the loud pedal. Not as quick as a gen 2, less power/torque + more weight and a totally different sensation of power delivery.

For your throttle body problem: See if you can get whipple to send you a tune for a stock TB, and put a stock TB on it.

It seems like there is a lot being overlooked on this truck, what condition are the suspension, brakes, tires and steering components in. If all that stuff is solid dumping a couple grand into the SC problem might make sense. If you are looking at a truck with blown shocks and worn steering components your going to be into it for a whole lot more than a good tune and a few engine components will cost.

Have you test driven a stock gen 1? that seems like a cheap next step.

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does Whipple recognize the VIN?
MTF has a pretty good understanding of the Whipple Raptor. Like he said, does the truck come with the handheld to get a tune if need be? The pictures also show dual exhaust, so maybe its got headers or has issues with O2 sensors (common)

For sub $38k, I would not be afraid of this truck per say. But I also know the risk of jumping into a modified vehicle that has unknown history. I would take the flight to inspect it thoroughly myself before buying it. You can see from the Auto Trader pics that they detailed the inside/outside but the truck has been mudding a time or two.

Are you mechanically inclined? Can you swap vacuum line etc to try and fix this yourself? If NO then you probably want to find a different truck.

whipple didn’t even have record of my blowers serial number. Didn’t believe me. I had to send a picture. so them having the vin is a crap shoot

Anthony k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slow isn't exactly the way to describe them. It really depends on you, are you looking to drag all the ricers at the stop lights or are you going to take it off road and run it in its element? High-speed off road; horsepower is hardly the biggest weakness, your not going to struggle passing on the highway, and you will light the tires up from a stand still if you get too happy with the loud pedal. Not as quick as a gen 2, less power/torque + more weight and a totally different sensation of power delivery.

For your throttle body problem: See if you can get whipple to send you a tune for a stock TB, and put a stock TB on it.

It seems like there is a lot being overlooked on this truck, what condition are the suspension, brakes, tires and steering components in. If all that stuff is solid dumping a couple grand into the SC problem might make sense. If you are looking at a truck with blown shocks and worn steering components your going to be into it for a whole lot more than a good tune and a few engine components will cost.

Have you test driven a stock gen 1? that seems like a cheap next step.

My tuner told me up front, keep the stock throttle body and save yourself a TON of headaches. And they were 100% correct.
There isn’t that much more power in a bigger TB for VS the cost and headache and drivability issues.

To the OP:

the canned Whipple tune ABSOLUTELY BLOWS.
Tuning via email when you spent that much money, isn’t worth it in my opinion. “Best guess tuning” isn’t for this application. If you buy it,replace the TB, get it on a Dyno. Livernois Motorsports refused to email tune my truck. That says A LOT. So it went on their Dyno.

drivability issues were gone, power is so smooth, was like a totally different truck
AND
I went back to the stock 3.50 pulley!

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
I have a whipple installer down the road from me...Beauty of living in DFW...I already spoke to them. They said they can try to retune, but sometimes it works a little and other times it doesn't. I asked about putting a stock TB, but he said I can't with this whipple kit. So What you guys are telling me and what they told me contradict. The info he gave me makes sense...So you guys are going to have to explain what you have compared to this truck and why it works.