NEED HELP, on new purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was in the process of getting plans together to fly in and buy a 2014 Raptor with 61,500 miles. It has a Whipple stage 2 on it.

Today I find out that the truck seems to have a vacuum leak? He said it's a common Whipple issue on these trucks? I don't know can anyone verify this, and fill me in on what this looks like?

Also he said it might need to be retuned? He said when you are gentle with the throttle it runs great, when you step on it's a monster and runs great, but when you are in the middle it is known to jerk like it is confused...Can anyone shed light on this possible issue? I'm not about to spend all this money on a project truck on an 8 hrs drive home.

Thanks guys

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this a private sale or from a dealer?
Does it have the SCT hand held device with the Tune on it?

Does it have headers? What kind of cats and or cat-back exhaust does the truck have.

It's not a common issue, there are few that had this problem though.
It may be an issue with the By-Pass valve in the manifold.
This is something that can be worked out with Whipple. Assuming it's a Whipple Tune.
Give Whipple a call on Monday with the Vin# and see if they know about the truck.
You may have to switch the hose controlling the By-Pass from vacuum to boost or vise verse.
That's assuming all else was installed correctly.

With out data logging and not knowing the exact options the truck has, its impossible to give any further advise.

May I ask what is the asking for the truck?
If you have to spend money with a speed shop that knows Raptors and Mustangs and buy a Tune and a Tuner Device again.
Whipple has authorized dealers and installers all around the country.

Will the person or dealer take the cost of that off their asking price.
Tune and Tuner Device cost around $650
Labor cost for diagnosis and fix is an unknown, I'd say a minimum $1,000 more for just you time :)

They are going to have a hard time selling it the way it is.
So if you're up to it I'd make an offer of $5,000 less than there asking.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you want a project or do you want something ready to drive, if you don't want a project leave it for someone else.

The midrange problem could be a tuning issue. In which case it's fairly easy to resolve.

The problem could be due to the vacuum leak (I haven't heard specifically of whipple chargers having this, my mustang certainly doesn't). The leak could be something as simple as a loose or improperly tightened clamp, or a cracked intake tube. Could be a bad gasket, or incorrectly torqued bolts. I have seen cracked runners on superchargers before, this is a larger problem and will require removal, welding and machining to repair. If it's a cracked SC case that's a bigger problem and will most likely require replacing the head unit. I would want the vac leak fixed before purchase, too much risk on something your flying to buy.

The problem could be due to a number of mechanical issues, big or small, or electronic/electrical ones.

This is a hard buy when you are trying to make the decision from a remote location.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
Thank you to the two that gave me some info to go with. I live in DFW and we indeed have a whipple installer. I will call them Monday to get an idea. It's the only one with a Whipple so I am inclined to get it..Coming from a gen 2 I don't think a gen 1 without a SC will be fast enough for my liking, and I can't drop 10-15K to have one installed.

Here is the listing...https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ist=FORD&searchRadius=500&clickType=spotlight

Basically, 61500 miles for 2014 for $38K...he's priced it here due to the issue it has. Looks clean and has been helpful so far..

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a write up like that I'd run, run, run! Talk about not disclosing a known fact. I wonder what else he's not telling you. Better get a thorough PPI.

OP
OP
Xlr8tin

Xlr8tin

Reaction score
PPI have only told me basic things like yea need tires, washer fluid, wiper blades...I need to know much deeper issues..I don't do PPI anymore. When you already know what to look for these basics don't do much. Sending it to a whipple or performance shop to run a tune check is not PPI