Need Advise on Loud No Drone Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FLYING BONES

Reaction score
@dirtydeeds those pictures tell the story. I love the idea that the drone can be killed. I like the idea of putting a borla or magnapack or BA muffler in. Thanks so much for the advice!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

dirtydeeds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@dirtydeeds those pictures tell the story. I love the idea that the drone can be killed. I like the idea of putting a borla or magnapack or BA muffler in. Thanks so much for the advice!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

This style of muffler is used first to clean up the sound, and secondary to cleaning up the sound is making it quieter. The trick is to custom size the muffler based on the end users needs/wants. For example. If a guy wanted the loudest truck possible you size the muffler just big enough to clean up the sound. But if a guy wanted performance but didn't want a loud truck you size the muffler as big as possible, but not so big that the pressure inside the muffler never equalizes with the rest of the exhaust system. That's the beauty of hand building every muffler, it's the same amount of work to build a 12x5" muffler as it is a 20x6" muffler, and material cost is negligible so might as well build everyone's muffler custom to their application;)

Tonka

Reaction score
I have nothing but good things to say about my Magnaflow catback system think part#15588, drone is pretty much not existent with this system and sounds great too

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A helmholtz resonator is really easy to make, it's harder to explain it to your local shop, than it is for them to make it. Most guys are gonna look at ya like you're crazy, I know that's what I did the first time I was asked to make one. Now, I've literally made hundreds of em for several different applications, including Raptor's. They're just a 26" (or so depending on the frequency you're trying to cancel out) piece of tubing branched into the exhaust system and capped on the end. There are a couple of different formula's used to figure out the length. There is helmholtz math, and 1/4 wave math. I've tried both on a Raptor, and they both work about equally as well.

As far as exit location, it's pretty negligible where the exhaust exits (between the 2 choices you've presented) Either exit will work equally as well when comparing HP and TQ, the sound will be slightly different, but the difference there is just a matter of preference, there is no right or wrong answer there either.

The thing to consider that IS critical is the design/engineering standpoint. You want a system that doesn't stray too far from factory dimensions. That's why I always say to do either a simple muffler sway, or a simple bolt on which maintains factory dimensions as closely as possible....yet removes the factory restrictive muffler for either straight pipe, or a muffler similar to a Borla or BAmuffler.

Since you've made a few helmholz. What would it to fab some for us guys looking for without custom exhaust shops in their area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This style of muffler is used first to clean up the sound, and secondary to cleaning up the sound is making it quieter. The trick is to custom size the muffler based on the end users needs/wants. For example. If a guy wanted the loudest truck possible you size the muffler just big enough to clean up the sound. But if a guy wanted performance but didn't want a loud truck you size the muffler as big as possible, but not so big that the pressure inside the muffler never equalizes with the rest of the exhaust system. That's the beauty of hand building every muffler, it's the same amount of work to build a 12x5" muffler as it is a 20x6" muffler, and material cost is negligible so might as well build everyone's muffler custom to their application;)

I've listened to Don's truck in person last month and it sounds amazing

Whenever my SW headers get coated and come in, I might have you make me a no drone exhaust thats as quiet as possible

HiTechRedneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the JBA Lightning exit setup on my screw for over a year now.
It's stainless, easy to install, loud when you step on it and no drone ever.
0 issues and great bang for the buck.
Definitely like the Lightning exit much better than stock.