My SYNC and text notifications (iPhone)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rghernan

Reaction score
My iPhone connects via bluetooth with no problems. Since updating SYNC my phone no longer sends a text notification through SYNC. I have changed the settings in SYNC to no avail. If I change the input to bluetooth I then get the text tone set on my phone. There is no problem with the phone ringing with the ring tone set on the phone. Any ideas?

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My iPhone connects via bluetooth with no problems. Since updating SYNC my phone no longer sends a text notification through SYNC. I have changed the settings in SYNC to no avail. If I change the input to bluetooth I then get the text tone set on my phone. There is no problem with the phone ringing with the ring tone set on the phone. Any ideas?

Under bluetooth settings on the phone tap the information circle for the SYNC device and make sure show notifications is on Settings > Bluetooth > SYNC > Show Notifications.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy Moley was that all I had to do? I just assumed text messages didn't work with the iPhone. Cool...

LMAO yeah it will read your texts out loud when driving or you can hit ignore. You just cannot respond unless in Park and that is by design by Ford as a safety measure to prevent texting and driving.

OP
OP
R

rghernan

Reaction score
I tried that before but it did not work. I am going to try and have the phone "forget" SYNC and delete the phone from SYNC. Start over I guess you could say with all the proper settings. I did find this below. I really don't want to restore my phone to factory settings then have to restore it from a backup.

iPhone
Why won’t SYNC notify me of my iPhone’s text messages?
We know how frustrating it is when you can’t get important messages while driving.

iPhone text messages

If you have an iPhone, and SYNC® isn’t notifying you of your text messages, try these steps:27, 43

Check the version of software for both SYNC and your iPhone.*
Only more recent iOS releases (6.1.3 and above) allow SYNC to support text messaging.
(Help me check my SYNC software version.)

While your iPhone is connected to your vehicle, access its Bluetooth® settings and activate Notifications.48 (Help me pair my phone.)
On your iPhone, touch Settings > Bluetooth > SYNC
Set Show Notifications to ON.
Make sure your iPhone screen is locked.
Otherwise, your iPhone won’t notify SYNC of incoming text messages.
Run a test; ask a friend to text your iPhone.
Here’s what should happen:
A soft tone will sound, and a notification will display on your touchscreen. Press or pull the Voice button and say, “Listen to text message,” and SYNC will read your text aloud.
If your test isn’t successful, you may need to restore your iPhone to its factory settings, and repeat the steps above.

OP
OP
R

rghernan

Reaction score
Well I have had no luck in getting the text messaging to work with SYNC. I did make progress when I reset my iPhone to factory settings and doing a master reset to SYNC. I think SYNC now recognizes my phone in the messaging aspect. I have always been able to send and receive calls. The reason I say it recognizes my phone for messaging is because it no longer gets the phone is not recognized message but I am still not able to receive or send text messages through SYNC. Has anyone had any luck? Any suggestions? I am running the latest IOS and SYNC update.

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have had no luck in getting the text messaging to work with SYNC. I did make progress when I reset my iPhone to factory settings and doing a master reset to SYNC. I think SYNC now recognizes my phone in the messaging aspect. I have always been able to send and receive calls. The reason I say it recognizes my phone for messaging is because it no longer gets the phone is not recognized message but I am still not able to receive or send text messages through SYNC. Has anyone had any luck? Any suggestions? I am running the latest IOS and SYNC update.

Hi rghernan,

Are you able to test another iPhone? I'm curious to find out if there is a compatibility issue with your device or if there is something going on with SYNC that needs to be addressed.

Let me know.

Whitney

OP
OP
R

rghernan

Reaction score
Whitney, I did locate a list of compatible iPhones last night after posting. The list includes iPhones down to iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 6S Plus. I do have another phone that is on the compatibility list and will try it later today. Below is the iPhones that show compatibility. Since my phone isn't listed that is probably my issue.
iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5s, & iPhone 6 are the only phones on the list.

FordIVTteam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitney, I did locate a list of compatible iPhones last night after posting. The list includes iPhones down to iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 6S Plus. I do have another phone that is on the compatibility list and will try it later today. Below is the iPhones that show compatibility. Since my phone isn't listed that is probably my issue.
iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5s, & iPhone 6 are the only phones on the list.
rghernan,

I haven't heard of any compatibility issues so I can't confirm or deny the capability. Testing may not be finalized, which may be why the iPhone 6S Plus is not listed.

I think we need to do some testing to make the best call here. If you have a device running the same iOS that would be great. If you can get your hands on another Plus that would be even better.

Keep me in the loop.

Whitney

OP
OP
R

rghernan

Reaction score
Whitney, I was able to use my daughters iPhone 6 with no problem sending and receiving text via SYNC. So it must be a compatibility issue with the latest iPhone release. (The iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus) That is unless another forum member has had no problems with an iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus.