My journey to Raptor R ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found a dealer to essentially purchase my truck from me. I have a contract with them where I can leave my cash with the dealer and use it as "trade" towards a new vehicle. If I chose I can go pick up my cash at anytime. The benefit of trading vs selling it is I can get 28,200.00 cash or essentially 30,000.00 towards a trade since MN only has you pay the sales tax on the difference.

I can just take my cash back from the dealer or just get two Raptor R's lol
Aaahh, as long as it’s written done, that’s awesome!

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a dealer to essentially purchase my truck from me. I have a contract with them where I can leave my cash with the dealer and use it as "trade" towards a new vehicle. If I chose I can go pick up my cash at anytime. The benefit of trading vs selling it is I can get 28,200.00 cash or essentially 30,000.00 towards a trade since MN only has you pay the sales tax on the difference.

I can just take my cash back from the dealer or just get two Raptor R's lol
Is there any time limit to the trade in tax credit? I think you have to buy another vehicle within 45 days in IL to claim the credit.

Edit - here are links to the IL Tax Credit for vehicle trade ins. Good news is that pickup trucks are Division 2 vehicles so you still get the full credit:

Last edited:

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on getting in line and putting a deposit down on the "R" as well. I will definitely get the dealer to sign something though if I do, as when you are raised by a lawyer it's second nature for me to get everything in writing. Good luck to the OP and keep us posted.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any time limit to the trade in tax credit? I think you have to buy another vehicle within 45 days in IL to claim the credit.

Edit - not 100% sure on that time deadline.

When I traded my 2019 Raptor in and ordered a Gen 3 they told me I had up to 1 year to use the sale of that vehicle to them as “trade value”. I just inquired with them as to an R as well….no news yet.

this was in Indiana.

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Edit - here are links to the IL Tax Credit for vehicle trade ins. Good news is that pickup trucks are Division 2 vehicles so you still get the full credit:

I definitely need to look into this! Thank you for the heads up!

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on getting in line and putting a deposit down on the "R" as well. I will definitely get the dealer to sign something though if I do, as when you are raised by a lawyer it's second nature for me to get everything in writing. Good luck to the OP and keep us posted.
Ive been having a hell of a time getting the two dealers I'm working with to actually sign something. If you have any luck please let me know!

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I traded my 2019 Raptor in and ordered a Gen 3 they told me I had up to 1 year to use the sale of that vehicle to them as “trade value”. I just inquired with them as to an R as well….no news yet.

this was in Indiana.
Good to know, I'll have to look into the rules in MN.

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely need to look into this! Thank you for the heads up!
I traded my Raptor in on Thursday (the trade in values are just too good not IMO). I went to two dealers trying to get the deal done. In both cases the dealers first offer did not include the tax credit. I had to push back and tell them about division one and two vehicles. In one case I actually texted the guy both those links. Both dealers came back after their research and agreed I was correct. I did not pay any taxes on my new car.

My guess is that only dealers that deal with a lot of fleet pickup truck sales would probably be familiar with the difference between division 1 and 2 off the top of their heads.

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came here trying to find a good place to sell a kidney. I must have missed read the title or something, idk . Anyway good luck on your journey and keep me posted on the kidney thing

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
700 hp? Is that all? I was hoping for 7,000.

A truck that doesn't exist, hasn't been announced. Good luck.