My journey to Raptor R ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Neal and I'm a new member here. I've wanted a Raptor for quite some time. As soon as I heard they were releasing a 700+hp variant I knew I had to get my hands on one. Im worried that these may be very difficult to get so I currently have down payments at 2 dealers in MN.

The first dealer I don't have any real connection to so I traded in a 2015 GMC Sierra with 45,000 miles on it as my down payment. I have other work vehicles to drive and with the used car market the way it is I figured now was as good of time as any to trade it in. I'm also working out of the country this fall so I won't be needing a vehicle for a few months. This dealer is one of the highest volume F150 dealers in the state so I'm hoping they get at least one allocation. I was told I am the first in line for the R at this dealership. I do not have anything in writing from them however. Is that something I should be concerned about?

The second dealer I have a better connection with but they don't do as much volume as the first dealer. My buddy owns a roofing company and is in there fleet program. I think he ordered about 10 vehicles from them last year. I had him put down a 5,000 deposit and I/we are first in line at that dealership as well.

I'm going to keep in contact with both dealers periodically to stay on their radar. If anyone else has any ideas to better my odds please let me know!

I'll also keep you guys posted if I hear anything from either dealer. I highly doubt they'll have anything to say for at least a few months...

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until you have something in writing, you have nothing. I'd keep pushing for a sort of "promissory note" if you will, so that you have some sort of recourse when the dealer sells the truck to someone else. Or they will just ADM you out of the deal if they want to sell it to someone else.

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is indeed a weird situation. I've never even ordered a vehicle and now Im trying to essentially order one that doesn't exist yet.

I understand that the R may not come out. I think that is highly unlikely though after seeing how popular the TRX is. If for some reason the R doesn't make it to fruition I'd be happy with a 22 Raptor.

I've now emailed both dealers again. Im going to try and get some kind of signed contract instead of just emails. Wish me luck!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It is indeed a weird situation. I've never even ordered a vehicle and now Im trying to essentially order one that doesn't exist yet.

I understand that the R may not come out. I think that is highly unlikely though after seeing how popular the TRX is. If for some reason the R doesn't make it to fruition I'd be happy with a 22 Raptor.

I've now emailed both dealers again. Im going to try and get some kind of signed contract instead of just emails. Wish me luck!

So you traded in your F150 to one dealer, what if the other dealer gets you the Raptor R first before the other dealer you traded in your truck to?

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who did you trade the used vehicle into as a deposit? This is confusing as H E L L! How can you put a deposit on something that only exist in a dream world?
I found a dealer to essentially purchase my truck from me. I have a contract with them where I can leave my cash with the dealer and use it as "trade" towards a new vehicle. If I chose I can go pick up my cash at anytime. The benefit of trading vs selling it is I can get 28,200.00 cash or essentially 30,000.00 towards a trade since MN only has you pay the sales tax on the difference.

So you traded in your F150 to one dealer, what if the other dealer gets you the Raptor R first before the other dealer you traded in your truck to?
I can just take my cash back from the dealer or just get two Raptor R's lol

OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck, hope it works out! You have a lot more faith in people than I ever could.
Thank you! I figure the absolute worst case scenario is I get my cash back from the first dealer and lose my down payment at the 2nd dealer. I think its more likely that I just cant secure an R allocation and just put my down payment towards a standard Raptor or a new work truck.