My journey to Raptor R ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s no promises at all. I put a $1,000 non refundable deposit down and will get the third one they receive if and when they come out.
Whether we like it or not many dealers are taking pre orders on these.
Not knocking you, I'm envious that I'm not in a position to make a similar decision and if you actually get on that's awesome and it will be a vehicle to keep forever. I really hope it works out for you and others that are going this route!
It's like "business ethics", it's an oxymoron. The dealers (especially salesman) will say anything to make a quick buck knowing full well that they have zero allocation for a 37" truck or an unconfirmed for price or even ETA Raptor R. Then they pull the rug out from under to ADM your vehicle or sell you something else that they can actually get their hands on.
My thoughts exactly, my point is more of a commentary on the completely backwards dealership/franchise system that plagues the car economy. Say if it was a hypothetical Ford Corporate store that was offering a pre-order on a Raptor R, then yes I would believe that is legitimate because they have the knowledge and ability to actually deliver what they are promising customers. Dealers are incredibly ignorant and generally less informed than your average enthusiast and I absolutely agree that they will say and do just about anything to make a sale and take your money. They are far less accountable than the company that they claim to represent and that's a shame. I'm sure in a year or two this forum will be flooded with stories of people getting the rug pulled out from them and getting charged insane ADMs like you mentioned.

Mxsledder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be shocked if outside of maybe 2-3 dealers nationwide, any dealer received more than one R allocation and I bet the vast majority of dealers don't receive one.
Non-refundable deposit on any car is silly.
If they can’t get me one they will refund the money.
If they can get one and I back out it’s not refundable.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this R unicorn actually does get built, they will be very limited production and only volume dealers will even get an allocation. Likely simillar to the GT350 program.

Whats the guess on how many get made?
Ford said they would make 1350 Ford GT's but only 600 exist.
Ford GT350R - Total production from 2015 including Shelby GT350 and GT350R is 23,574 thats less than 4000 a year....

BambiKiller

The Stripper Hunter
Reaction score
Get it in writing. I was on the waitlist in #2 position for 4 YEARS on a car Porsche hadn’t released or even confirmed. But I knew would be coming out eventually.

Whole time the GSM and my sales guy said it would be at sticker. Even bought a car from them in the interim in good faith. Right before allocations released, new ownership, 50 over sticker.

So after yelling at them for a half hour for pulling this crap and telling them what they could do with their offer they go, “shame you don’t have it in writing promising msrp”

I went a new level of nuclear, refuse to buy any new porsche vehicle, tell everyone who asks me the time how ****** porsche of San Diego is, etc.

Went and bought a mclaren, parked it right in front of their display window and worked in their lounge for a few hours everyday for a week. Jerks.

moral is if it’s not in writing by someone authorized to make the deal you have no deal.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all got me worried now, put a 1k deposit for the R. They said they’ll be emailing me a written up statement about selling it for MSRP. But who knows.. lol they said I’m 10th in line

Mxsledder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y’all got me worried now, put a 1k deposit for the R. They said they’ll be emailing me a written up statement about selling it for MSRP. But who knows.. lol they said I’m 10th in line
I put a 1k deposit at a dealer that only sells at MSRP so I’m not worried but I don’t have anything in writhing either. I’m third on the list but there’s a good a good chance I won’t get one till the second model year.
If you are 10th on the list I would keep searching for a dealer that doesn’t have a big list yet. It’s crazy the dealer even is taking a list that deep when it’s entirely possible each dealer will only get one or two the first year.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an email today with a written and signed agreement from the owner. I’m 7th in line* yeah man I called countless of dealerships and they either don’t have a list or they do but they’re asking 15-20k over

BambiKiller

The Stripper Hunter
Reaction score
Got an email today with a written and signed agreement from the owner. I’m 7th in line* yeah man I called countless of dealerships and they either don’t have a list or they do but they’re asking 15-20k over
Nice. That is a big hurdle. Most dealers won’t put that water is wet and the sky is blue in writing

ND-omni

Reaction score
Until you have something in writing, you have nothing. I'd keep pushing for a sort of "promissory note" if you will, so that you have some sort of recourse when the dealer sells the truck to someone else. Or they will just ADM you out of the deal if they want to sell it to someone else.
This is accurate. I got mine in writing signed by both my sales associate and the manager of the dealership. I locked in what I'm willing to pay over MSRP as well - to avoid the number creeping up as anticipation and exclusivity continue to grow. It helps that I bought a Gen 3 37 performance pack off of them in the meantime.

Attachments

• Gen 3 Raptor.jpg
    Gen 3 Raptor.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
nealhoney

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no longer working out of the country due to covid protocols. Now I am truckless and looking for something to get me by until the R comes out. I reached out to the dealer I traded my GMC into and they supposedly have 3 raptors coming in between now and November. I haven't heard what color/packages they are but I really don't care as I am still hoping its only a temporary ride. Im also ordering a new Transit work van from them so I'm hoping that helps my cause getting into an R!