MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
<grenade warning>

Ok, I’m going to ask a serious question here. We gave the chipwerke folks a healthy ration of cr@p for their non existent QC and testing, you guys are reporting far worse than anything the chipwerke users were seeing...

Shouldn’t these bugs have been worked out before delivering to the end users?

I don’t think Guy had enough development time... needed to get his tune to market quickly.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey

I have a 2018 and it happened with and without adaptive cruise enabled.

No need for popcorn.

I had a similar issue with 5 Star Tuning.

I’ve not had that issue with MPT in 7 months of driving.

Are you a 2018 or 2017?

Were you using adaptive cruise at the time? I noticed it most when the cruise was engaged.

I never found out from 5 star if they solved their issues.

Yours is the first MPT case I’ve heard.

Probably what you’re missing here is Water Wetter. :p

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Nope

Made the same trip 2 weeks before never had an issue (wiht a PC and chipwerke installed)

Did it do this stock? This sounds eerily familiar to the 3.5 ecoboost issues of the last generation.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Let me say this

I had a chipwerke and PC and never had an issue. Moved to the MPT FOR safety because of what i had read here about the QC stuff.

MPT has been great on the phone and sent me another version. I have not installed it yet because im too busy. I have to make anothert 3.5 hour drive to PHX this thursday night with my wife which would be the perfect time to test except i wont be taking that chance with her in the truck.

As it stands now I have to decide if i just want to return the MPT and forgo tuning entirely or keep taking risks.

I agree. I was pretty angry when i called them and the answer i got was that a small number of people were having this issue. Yet, when i spent nearly a grand that was not mentioned ANYWHERE.

So though they are being great with the help I am certainly irritated.

<grenade warning>

Ok, I’m going to ask a serious question here. We gave the chipwerke folks a healthy ration of cr@p for their non existent QC and testing, you guys are reporting far worse than anything the chipwerke users were seeing...

Shouldn’t these bugs have been worked out before delivering to the end users?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally.

Hey

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Nope

Made the same trip 2 weeks before never had an issue (wiht a PC and chipwerke installed)

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Let me say this

I had a chipwerke and PC and never had an issue. Moved to the MPT FOR safety because of what i had read here about the QC stuff.

MPT has been great on the phone and sent me another version. I have not installed it yet because im too busy. I have to make anothert 3.5 hour drive to PHX this thursday night with my wife which would be the perfect time to test except i wont be taking that chance with her in the truck.

As it stands now I have to decide if i just want to return the MPT and forgo tuning entirely or keep taking risks.

I agree. I was pretty angry when i called them and the answer i got was that a small number of people were having this issue. Yet, when i spent nearly a grand that was not mentioned ANYWHERE.

So though they are being great with the help I am certainly irritated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s unfortunate that this happens, though it is great that the company is doing what they can to make it right but I’d be hesitant to use this on a street driven vehicle.

It’s good that it gets brought up, but I’d be diving deeper into the explanation “a few units are affected”.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should keep your NGauge.

See if you can get a refund on your tunes.

Talk to Lars at Gearhead and go in that direction.

It’s a little slower. It’s a little safer. It’s incredibly smooth and refined.

Lars daily drives a raptor.

It sounds like it’s right up your alley.

QUOTE=mmacfn;1238213]Hey

Nope

Let me say this

So though they are being great with the help I am certainly irritated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @Guy

I think there is more to this, MPT simply did not do rigorous testing prior to release for the 2018 and now im part of doing it for them.

After 2 more versions same issues exists.

It is likely the reason why it has not been caught is because of testing. Every time this has happened isnt when i slam the skinny pedal or drive for 15 min. All have been on 3 hours drives going up a significant hill under acceleration and most of the time during cruise.

I get a power train fault which is a fail safe.

MPT has been great working with me on this but it seems pretty clear they are surprised that its happening. Not sure.

In anycase I cannot reproduce this issue "around town" only when im in these conditions. It is extremely unsafe because if you were passing under acceleration on one of these grades you would be screwed.

We shall see where it goes but at this point i would caution anyone from buying the tune until its resolved. It is a REAL safety issue .

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmacfn

I’m serious about Gearhead. I wasn’t trying to mess with you. It’s a really great, smooth, well refined tune. Lars daily drives as I said.

The tunes I tested were like an enhanced factory experience. I imagine it’s like whipple, only faster.

It’s just not as wild as MPT.

I had the same thing happening to me with 5 Star. And when it really showed itself was when I was on a 2.5 hour trip and started going up and down in the mountains with cruise enabled. My wife and kids were with me and it definitely heightened the anxiety level.

5 Star had an extremely aggressive tune at the time as well.

I have a theory as to possible culprits.

Something funky with the throttle position sensor with the drive by wire turned up... and it happens under load.

An isssue with the fuel pump call for more fuel from the ECU under load and an unexpected closure of the throttle body and a lean condition...

Issue with the torque converter lockup s/p tuning.

My gut says it has to do with the throttle position sensor, ECU torque management. I don’t think it’s a mechanical issue as much as it is a software issue.

I’ve tested a lot of tunes and have driven a lot of tuners work... and trouble shooter through a lot of problems with them.

Pass it on to Mike. It might help him. :)

Hey @Guy

I think there is more to this, MPT simply did not do rigorous testing prior to release for the 2018 and now im part of doing it for them.

After 2 more versions same issues exists.

It is likely the reason why it has not been caught is because of testing. Every time this has happened isnt when i slam the skinny pedal or drive for 15 min. All have been on 3 hours drives going up a significant hill under acceleration and most of the time during cruise.

I get a power train fault which is a fail safe.

MPT has been great working with me on this but it seems pretty clear they are surprised that its happening. Not sure.

In anycase I cannot reproduce this issue "around town" only when im in these conditions. It is extremely unsafe because if you were passing under acceleration on one of these grades you would be screwed.

We shall see where it goes but at this point i would caution anyone from buying the tune until its resolved. It is a REAL safety issue .

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey yah I have handed it off to him.

Mike is all over it and I cannot understate the customer service they have extended me.

Here was his recent reply

“Hey Mike, that tune was a major effort so I’m going to pause on testing until I get another update from HP Tuners. There is definitely something going on with 2018s and adaptive cruise control. I’ve done many things trying to resolve it but haven’t figured it out on my side so I’m asking HP Tuners to look into more calibration items related to adaptive cruise control. One thing is for sure, we will keep working until it’s resolved.

I already have you on a list with your info and situation. I’ll update you asap.

-Mike

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i ordered (and received) my tuner from MPT about 1.5 weeks ago. MPT is working on some changes to their tune, so they are not sending out tunes to new customers at the moment.

I'm in no rush and trust that they'll work through it.

and if it proves to be supremely problematic, I'll move to a livernois tune. I would have went livernois from the get, but I really wanted transmission tuning.

If i had to throw a guess out there, it would be that the transmission programming is the culprit. The faults seem to be centered around low load to high load throttle transitions and a weird shift/buck/misfire-type feeling.... followed by the dash christmas tree treatment.

I got it with the PC/Chipwerke combo when i had it turned up pretty high. It doesnt sound like the scenario that the tuned guys are experiencing is any different.