GEN 1 CAI tune required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tune + CAI + Catback exhaust could net 25-35 hp. Will it be earth shattering on top of the 411? No, but it will be there none the less.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Absolutely true. When I still had the factory muffler I nearly frightened a guy in a convertible Mazda with the top down off the road when I passed him at wide open throttle. In retrospect I realized that height of the exhaust was probably equal to where his head was down in that little sports car. The factory exhaust on the GEN1s has a raw, raspy character at wide open throttle. It's impressive.

Then I made a mistake. I bought and installed a MagnaFlow perfect replacement for the factory muffler. Same length, same diameter inlet and outlets, and you can see right through it from end to end. I thought I was really going to have something sonically terrifying there. Nope. It's smoother in sound quality. Deeper, but I lost that raw and raspy quality. I wish I hadn't done it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory muffler on the GEN1s.
Corsa, baby!

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely true. When I still had the factory muffler I nearly frightened a guy in a convertible Mazda with the top down off the road when I passed him at wide open throttle. In retrospect I realized that height of the exhaust was probably equal to where his head was down in that little sports car. The factory exhaust on the GEN1s has a raw, raspy character at wide open throttle. It's impressive.

Then I made a mistake. I bought and installed a MagnaFlow perfect replacement for the factory muffler. Same length, same diameter inlet and outlets, and you can see right through it from end to end. I thought I was really going to have something sonically terrifying there. Nope. It's smoother in sound quality. Deeper, but I lost that raw and raspy quality. I wish I hadn't done it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory muffler on the GEN1s.
My Gen 1 factory muffler was just too dang quiet, so I put on a MagnaFlow muffler on it, might not have been the 'perfect fit' version, it needed a Y pipe at the backend for the twin tail pipes, but afterwards, it got a fantastic rumble at idle and light throttle and screams beautifully at full song! It's much louder, but much better and zero rasp, just roaring thunder and absolutely LOVE it. Just goes to show 'to each, his own...' right? It's not too loud for conversation at all.

I also did a 5 star 91 octane performance tune and that was an awesome upgrade! It fixed the trans shifting and the lame stock throttle pedal mapping. Some guys said the there are better tunes out there but this is great for me. I'm doing a banks CAI next, just cuz their marketing makes biggest gains AND I had great noticeable results with that CAI on my LB7 Duramax. Food for thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter