GEN 1 CAI tune required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unit227

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just bought my first raptor, a 2013 with the 6.2 and a little over 200,000 miles. Truck is completely stock and was bought as a commuter for the owner's wife, so all highway miles on her. I have a S&B cold air intake ordered and plan on having a new muffler and resonator welded on to try and wake the truck up a bit. I completely forgot to check if I was going to need to tune the engine to the new intake or not, and I'd rather not drop the money on a tuner if I dont have to. So anyone else who has the S&B intake please let me know how it runs with or without a tune. Thanks!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius.

And as stated, no tune required for a CAI. Doubt you will feel any improvement from a CAI on a stock truck.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Meat2022 is correct. No tune required for your stated mods.

But be advised that you will realize neither performance nor MPG gains from those mods. You will likely get better intake air filtration and a different exhaust note, however.

What a truck with 200K miles on the clock needs more than the mods you plan are at a minimum (if this work hasn't already been done) new spark plugs, R&R front and rear differential gear oil, R&R transfer case fluid, R&R engine coolant, R&R brake fluid, R&R power steering fluid, and a full transmission service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unit227

Unit227

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, good to know I didn't need a tuner for it. It had recently had the shocks replaced as well as a front suspension rebuild along with only being serviced at the dealer which made me comfortable buying one with this high mileage. I was planning on doing all the stated maintenance throughout the year myself when im able as I usually do a full service with a new to me vehicle. Thanks for the help. Also Im aware the intake and exhaust wont do much I just figured that big 6.2 shouldnt be so quiet lol.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best part about owning a Gen 1 is the sound it makes. Second is how reliable they are compared to later trucks. An exhaust is 90% of that sound, but the intake does give it a more guttural growl.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best part about owning a Gen 1 is the sound it makes. Second is how reliable they are compared to later trucks. An exhaust is 90% of that sound, but the intake does give it a more guttural growl.
Absolutely true. When I still had the factory muffler I nearly frightened a guy in a convertible Mazda with the top down off the road when I passed him at wide open throttle. In retrospect I realized that height of the exhaust was probably equal to where his head was down in that little sports car. The factory exhaust on the GEN1s has a raw, raspy character at wide open throttle. It's impressive.

Then I made a mistake. I bought and installed a MagnaFlow perfect replacement for the factory muffler. Same length, same diameter inlet and outlets, and you can see right through it from end to end. I thought I was really going to have something sonically terrifying there. Nope. It's smoother in sound quality. Deeper, but I lost that raw and raspy quality. I wish I hadn't done it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory muffler on the GEN1s.

OP
OP
Unit227

Unit227

Reaction score
A new to you truck with 200,00+ miles needs a $30 investment into an oil test by Blackstone Laboratories or another legit testing facility. They can test trans and diff oil too. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us/
I will get that done next time I change the oil, I changed it as soon as I bought it just to make sure I got the mobil 1 oil in it that I use on my 2004 explorer with 221,000 on it. I took the oil fill cap off after a long drive and it doesnt even burn oil which is surprising.

OP
OP
Unit227

Unit227

Reaction score
Absolutely true. When I still had the factory muffler I nearly frightened a guy in a convertible Mazda with the top down off the road when I passed him at wide open throttle. In retrospect I realized that height of the exhaust was probably equal to where his head was down in that little sports car. The factory exhaust on the GEN1s has a raw, raspy character at wide open throttle. It's impressive.

Then I made a mistake. I bought and installed a MagnaFlow perfect replacement for the factory muffler. Same length, same diameter inlet and outlets, and you can see right through it from end to end. I thought I was really going to have something sonically terrifying there. Nope. It's smoother in sound quality. Deeper, but I lost that raw and raspy quality. I wish I hadn't done it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory muffler on the GEN1s.
I understand that, I bought the borla 40349 muffler and a vibrant performance resonator to eliminate drone while still making it louder. I do like the way the stock exhaust sounds but i like an exhaust that screams when you step on the throttle but is quiet while cruising.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter