Move from BMW X5 to Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowser

Reaction score
I recently made a similar decision and shared your trepidations and logic. Up until now, my daily's have all been German SUV's. Like you, I was fearful that such a drastic diversion would be too much. However, I viewed the entire process as an experiment and my wife bet me that the Raptor would only last 3 months. Granted, the covid put time on my side but I just got my three month mark.

For me, my largest fear was drivability. Surprisingly, I feel the Raptor is relatively easy to drive. Obviously, I wouldn't want to park in the city everyday but for my use it works. Ultimately, I purchased a left over 19 and hope the resale will remain strong should I decide to bail. For now, I have been happy with the purchase. My only disappointment is with the audio quality. A surprise to me as I came from a b&o system and assumed Ford's b&o wouldn't differ. I was wrong.

SoCalCFP

Reaction score
i have a '18 X5M and a '19 Raptor. They are both great, but for different reasons. The one thing I will add, I find myself taking the Raptor for long trips vs the X5M. The Raptor is so big, comfortable and the ride is better in the Raptor. The Raptor is truly a great freeway cruiser. I am heading the So Utah this afternoon and taking the Raptor. Good luck.

Michael Wong

Reaction score
BM owner for the last 10 years and new raptor for last 30 days. No regrets. Unless you have the X5m you will not see a huge gap in performance. I was really concerned about steering feel because BMW over the years has been legendary when it comes to driving dynamics. The options for steering settings and drive mode settings in the rap help to solve that. It still feels like I’m riding on balloons but I’m getting older and appreciate the softness. However, body role is much less than you would expect. Also, the extra benefit of being able to roll over just about anything without bending rim and ripping a bumper off round out the pro list for me. I say just do it - I was in the same position for 9 months prior and now wonder why I waited so long.

taking her out to the desert this weekend to get dirty. I’m sure I will be falling deeper in love.

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a financial aspect, I'm also looking at the Raptor thinking worst case scenario if I do end up not liking it, I'm currently seeing 30k mile Raptors listing for $60k. I'd still be able to walk away from it cash positive.

Well, in terms of what I owed vs what I got for trade/sale.

* Also, kind of posting thoughts here in the event someone else thinking same thing now, or months from now.

I say go for it. We have an 18 X5 that is my wife's primary car and while fun to drive, I would prefer the Raptor. Raptor resale is good, but I think the figure you mentioned for a 30k vehicle is real high when you can get a new well optioned 2020 for 65-67k. Your X5 will keep depreciating rapidly too. Ours was a very well optioned M-Sport, 1 1/2 yrs old with 7,200 miles, no accidents, etc. and we got it for over 30% off original MSRP.

Last edited:

Todd Miller

Reaction score
I’ve owned BMW 3 & 5-series for 30+ years. Went first F150 in 2010, then 2nd F150 with coyote engine in 2016. 2018 Raptor as fast as I can afford tickets, goes like bat outta hell, fun to drive, won’t ever go back either until can get Shelby motor in one. Hennessy is 30-mins from my house as well.

Big chuck

Reaction score
I agree with radraptor, you should have both for different reasons, I have both now a 2019 BMW X5 and a 2019 raptor live both of them, I do find it hard to choose some days on what to drive but it’s a good problem to have, good luck to you

Rowe1589

Reaction score
I owned and drove X5's for many years. I bought a 2018 Raptor and gave the X5 to my wife. I loved driving the X5 but now that I only drive it on rare occasions I really miss the Raptor. True the Raptor doesn't handle as well but it is just as much fun! And my wife loves the X5 over the 320SLK she used to have.

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like what was already stated, wife drives the X5, I drive the Raptor, been that way for 10 years. Every time I drive her X5, I miss the Raptor.