Move from BMW X5 to Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eleven24

Reaction score
Have the Raptor sitting in my driveway right now. Dealer let me take it overnight as they were closing in 30 min & need to make a decision by morning. Would be moving from a BMW X5 & curious if anyone here has made such a dramatic shift in vehicles.

Vague comparison, but love the drive of both vehicles for different reasons. Raptor would be used 80% on road. This is 3rd time I've test driven Raptor & every time I do I love it. Concerns are really just the Raptor as an everyday driver when it's not being used off road, which would likely be 80% of the time.

Thoughts from anyone who has driven, or been in same position as me?

(Yes I realize I'm asking this on a Raptor forum)

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you're good with the size and you're ok with the slower performance (on-road) then you'll be happy and can always use some go fast mods to add some signicant power to the Raptor. It'll be a better performer in your winter weather, bigger and more comfortable for the family, more storage, will hold value better, and will be cheaper to maintain.

But if you've got a higher tier X5 with a lot of power, you may miss the performance. And the Raptor is much larger (longer and wider) so parking can be worse. Other than that, I give credit to the Raptor.

Peronsally, I went from daily driving a Gen 1 Raptor to an M4 to a Gen 2 Raptor all within a year. I liked every vehicle for different reasons. But the Gen 2 was my favorite over all...even over the M4...except when it came to highway shenanigans.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have the Raptor sitting in my driveway right now. Dealer let me take it overnight as they were closing in 30 min & need to make a decision by morning. Would be moving from a BMW X5 & curious if anyone here has made such a dramatic shift in vehicles.

Vague comparison, but love the drive of both vehicles for different reasons. Raptor would be used 80% on road. This is 3rd time I've test driven Raptor & every time I do I love it. Concerns are really just the Raptor as an everyday driver when it's not being used off road, which would likely be 80% of the time.

Thoughts from anyone who has driven, or been in same position as me?

(Yes I realize I'm asking this on a Raptor forum)

It really depends on what you're looking for in a vehicle. An X5 and F-150 are very different vehicles for a multitude of reasons; Raptor even more so. The X5 is a much smaller vehicle overall, which makes it easier to park and maneuver. Also fits in most garages, which the Raptor does not. Being a 3-row SUV, the X5 can carry 6 or 7 people, a SuperCrew F-Series cannot. Cargo wise, the Raptor can carry quite a lot in the bed, but it won't be in a weatherproof environment as it would be in an SUV. So it depends what kind of cargo you most often carrry.

The decision really comes down to practicality and personal preference more so than which is more desirable than the other.

OP
OP
E

eleven24

Reaction score
It really depends on what you're looking for in a vehicle. An X5 and F-150 are very different vehicles for a multitude of reasons; Raptor even more so. The X5 is a much smaller vehicle overall, which makes it easier to park and maneuver. Also fits in most garages, which the Raptor does not. Being a 3-row SUV, the X5 can carry 6 or 7 people, a SuperCrew F-Series cannot. Cargo wise, the Raptor can carry quite a lot in the bed, but it won't be in a weatherproof environment as it would be in an SUV. So it depends what kind of cargo you most often carrry.

The decision really comes down to practicality and personal preference more so than which is more desirable than the other.

The practicality aspect is what is having me consider trading in the X5. I'm always doing things around the house and frustrated jamming things into the back of the X5. I know I'd use the bed.. a lot. It will also fit in my garage, by a few inches. But it fits. I'm just looking at the thing thinking how big it is and if after the novelty wears off if I'll be regretting the purchase. The drive, the power, and the idea of going off roading along with the practicality are trying to convince me to get the Raptor. Just wondering if anyone bought and then felt like it was too big afterward.

OP
OP
E

eleven24

Reaction score
If you're good with the size and you're ok with the slower performance (on-road) then you'll be happy and can always use some go fast mods to add some signicant power to the Raptor. It'll be a better performer in your winter weather, bigger and more comfortable for the family, more storage, will hold value better, and will be cheaper to maintain.

But if you've got a higher tier X5 with a lot of power, you may miss the performance. And the Raptor is much larger (longer and wider) so parking can be worse. Other than that, I give credit to the Raptor.

Peronsally, I went from daily driving a Gen 1 Raptor to an M4 to a Gen 2 Raptor all within a year. I liked every vehicle for different reasons. But the Gen 2 was my favorite over all...even over the M4...except when it came to highway shenanigans.

I'm not really thinking about the performance because where the Raptor has more power the BMW has far better handling. But really, where am I going to max out the performance of either if talking about daily driving? I would be far, far more likely to take the Raptor off road than I would be the BMW to a track, or even a twisty road where I could legally open it up.

Just trying to look past the excitement of a new truck and get to the real world usages of each

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The practicality aspect is what is having me consider trading in the X5. I'm always doing things around the house and frustrated jamming things into the back of the X5. I know I'd use the bed.. a lot. It will also fit in my garage, by a few inches. But it fits. I'm just looking at the thing thinking how big it is and if after the novelty wears off if I'll be regretting the purchase. The drive, the power, and the idea of going off roading along with the practicality are trying to convince me to get the Raptor. Just wondering if anyone bought and then felt like it was too big afterward.

That is where a pickup truck becomes invaluable. This is my first pickup, and in the last 10 months I've used it on multiple occasions to haul block, tow my Mustang, bring home supplies from HD/Lowes, bring our bikes to the trails, etc. It's extremely practical. Nobody wants to be the guy renting the *Starting at 29.95* Home Depot pickup to bring some gravel bags home for a small project.

Having had previous F-150s, the Raptor is noticeably wider. However, it's still easier to park than the F-150 SuperCrew long bed (6.5ft) that I had. It's really only an issue is your driveway/garage is very narrow or you frequent parking lots with compact sized spots. No issue parking at Costco or Walmart!

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had previous F-150s, the Raptor is noticeably wider. However, it's still easier to park than the F-150 SuperCrew long bed (6.5ft) that I had. It's really only an issue is your driveway/garage is very narrow or you frequent parking lots with compact sized spots. No issue parking at Costco or Walmart!

Agreed, I came from a Tacoma and it only took me a few hours of driving to get used to the extra girth and once you get used to it it's not so bad. The technology really helps you manage the size especially the 360 camera, front camera and BSM. I daily drive mine and it's a very easy truck to live with... Until you go to a drive thru....

OP
OP
E

eleven24

Reaction score
From a financial aspect, I'm also looking at the Raptor thinking worst case scenario if I do end up not liking it, I'm currently seeing 30k mile Raptors listing for $60k. I'd still be able to walk away from it cash positive.

Well, in terms of what I owed vs what I got for trade/sale.

* Also, kind of posting thoughts here in the event someone else thinking same thing now, or months from now.

Last edited:

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not have both!!! I have a 19 Raptor and a 20 Range Rover Sport SVR. They are both different and both a blast to drive... make room for the raptor...

bobn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So size matters?! I have a 1/2 ton super crew Ford; it's a little bigger for sure but you'll get used to it in not time and IMO won't matter. It's nice being bigger than everyone else, you feel safer.