Move from BMW X5 to Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor50

Reaction score
I made the same switch several years ago, years of driving higher end BMWs, I went from an X5 Msport with twin turbo V8 to new 14 Raptor. Was building a house and wanted a truck. Kept the Raptor longer then any other vehicle, sold it after 5 yrs. Been driving a Macan Turbo and X4M40i, but just traded the X4M40i for a new Raptor. Wanted a truck again. Like others stated, BMW's are awesome to drive but so is the Raptor in its own right. I say if you have a need for a truck, you can't go wrong with the Raptor

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of VERY helpful info here, especially as it relates to driving an X5 vs the Raptor.

So helpful was the info that I’m posting this while waiting at the dealership for the truck to be cleaned so I can take it home

Congrats on the new purchase! We were in a somewhat similar situation...we were trying to decide between a Mercedes GLS and the Raptor last fall.... I’ve only had one daily driver that wasn’t a truck...wife reminded me of that and the Raptor won. With a bedcover there’s lots of room for dry secure storage and it’s hard to beat the supercrew when it comes to elbow room for the whole family.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swiching over from a bmw there are a couple things you need to do. first ditch the loafers, tan slacks, peach colored shirt, white sweater (why you guys always wear them around your shoulders anyway?) get rid of the aviator sunglasses and throw away the hair gel. once you do tbat and have gained enough points to un suspend your man card, then you can go buy the truck

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations eleven24! I recently owned an X5 (recently traded for a 2020 Lincoln Aviator) and it was a nice vehicle. The tech on the X5 was horrible, though, and the Raptor has a leg up in that area.

I’m going to guess that you’ll have no regrets... it’s such a fun vehicle to drive. And surprisingly very comfy as a daily driver. Enjoy your new Rap!

BucksRunner

Reaction score
Congrats! You made the right decision. Hopefully I'll see you on the roads grinning from ear to ear as I do every time I'm in my Raptor.

3cross

Reaction score
Have the Raptor sitting in my driveway right now. Dealer let me take it overnight as they were closing in 30 min & need to make a decision by morning. Would be moving from a BMW X5 & curious if anyone here has made such a dramatic shift in vehicles.

Vague comparison, but love the drive of both vehicles for different reasons. Raptor would be used 80% on road. This is 3rd time I've test driven Raptor & every time I do I love it. Concerns are really just the Raptor as an everyday driver when it's not being used off road, which would likely be 80% of the time.

Thoughts from anyone who has driven, or been in same position as me?

(Yes I realize I'm asking this on a Raptor forum)

3cross

Reaction score
Owned an X5M. Crazy great Cecile. Loved every minute of it until I bought first Raptor. Sat in garage because you couldn’t drag me out of my truck. Sold it. No regrets. On second Raptor and is first choice for. daily driver

OP
OP
E

eleven24

Reaction score
swiching over from a bmw there are a couple things you need to do. first ditch the loafers, tan slacks, peach colored shirt, white sweater (why you guys always wear them around your shoulders anyway?) get rid of the aviator sunglasses and throw away the hair gel. once you do tbat and have gained enough points to un suspend your man card, then you can go buy the truck

Haha... but certainly not THAT kind of BMW owner. Jeans & zip hoodies here with a lot of DIY modifications over the years. Also always thought I was good at driving until I went to the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina. Being encouraged to push an M class car to it's limits will certainly give one an addiction to BMW.

You are definitely right though about a lot of the BMW drivers I'd see at the dealerships. Buying the car because it has BMW on the front and not for the exhilaration of the drive.

OP
OP
E

eleven24

Reaction score
I recently made a similar decision and shared your trepidations and logic. Up until now, my daily's have all been German SUV's. Like you, I was fearful that such a drastic diversion would be too much. However, I viewed the entire process as an experiment and my wife bet me that the Raptor would only last 3 months. Granted, the covid put time on my side but I just got my three month mark.

For me, my largest fear was drivability. Surprisingly, I feel the Raptor is relatively easy to drive. Obviously, I wouldn't want to park in the city everyday but for my use it works. Ultimately, I purchased a left over 19 and hope the resale will remain strong should I decide to bail. For now, I have been happy with the purchase. My only disappointment is with the audio quality. A surprise to me as I came from a b&o system and assumed Ford's b&o wouldn't differ. I was wrong.

Your process is exactly what is going on in our house right now. I've always driven BMW, with an Audi Q7 thrown in there along the way. My wife is saying that in a few months I'll be taking the keys to her BMW and leaving the Raptor in the garage. Right now I'm realizing the Raptor will cost me more money than I thought, and my wife isn't exactly complaining. A new grill, patio furniture and sofas to the tune of $6k so far because we could go get it with the truck.

Looking at the resale value of Raptors, I saw 3 year old Raptors still going for $55k with 40k miles on them. I pushed equity (if you can call it that on a car) from the BMW into the Raptor & financed $50k, so theoretically a year in I could be cash positive should I decide to bail... although I really don't think that's happening after driving it. I'm feeling this will be around for quite awhile.

If for no other reason than to tell the wife she was wrong ;)

Also - agree with you on the sound quality. Flat and not inspiring. Nothing that can't be upgraded though.