Move from BMW X5 to Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BucksRunner

Reaction score
I used resale value in the sales pitch to my wife was well. I figured I could buy it, drive it for a few years and barely lose any money unlike any other car out there. Although now after having it for nearly a year my wife wants to get a smaller SUV knowing that we will keep the Raptor for a long time to come.

BucksRunner

Reaction score
48 hours 450 miles so far. Yep, definitely liking it!

Being in the same area, any recommendations for off road?

I have only taken the Raptor up to Rausch Creek for the Raptor Takeover event in Nov. It was a blast but I'm still cleaning mud out of it....

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that you test drove the Raptor 3 times tells me you couldn’t get it out of your head (much like I couldn’t). I think you made the right decision and are unlikely to have regrets. I came from a 17 Escalade ESV and driving the Raptor is so much more fun. 11,000 miles later, I have absolutely no regrets.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came across this thread - wondered how it's going for the OP. Asking as I'm thinking of doing the opposite - Looking at a BMW X7M and getting out of my '21 Raptor.

My reasons... aging dog, harder to jump into the Raptor (I know ramps/stairs); Not really doing truck stuff and the enclosed cargo area might work better for us now. It's also huge of course and there are occasional places I can't park due to height. BMW is going to be a more manageable daily driver, great tech; maybe better highway cruise, but that's up for debate.

Not sure I can do it though - love the Raptor (it's my 3rd one). I get compliments almost every time I drive (people love the Code Orange). I also think perception of ones ride (I have a small biz) is different - even though they are fairly close in price now. I think people presume BMW is way more $.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I love my Gen 2 Raptor.

My opinion is that pinnacle SUV models of the “luxury” brands have better tech, far better audio, and superior headlights than the Raptor. I’ve owned Volvo XC90’s since 2004. To me they are far better DD’s, especially in an urban area.

I’m in the Raptor six months a year and the Volvo the other six months.

The Raptor is excellent for what I use it for during our winter off grid season. The XC90 is much better for our summers in the city.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I love my Gen 2 Raptor.

My opinion is that pinnacle SUV models of the “luxury” brands have better tech, far better audio, and superior headlights than the Raptor. I’ve owned Volvo XC90’s since 2004. To me they are far better DD’s, especially in an urban area.

I’m in the Raptor six months a year and the Volvo the other six months.

The Raptor is excellent for what I use it for during our winter off grid season. The XC90 is much better for our summers in the city.
Thanks, all good points. Maybe I need a bigger garage! My wife doesn't want to drive a large vehicle every day - hence, she has a Model Y. Winters... yes - love the Raptor for that, although a good (albeit, expensive) set of snows would make the X7 a pretty snow machine I think.

WestlakeHorn

Reaction score
We’ve owned 4 BMWs including an E92 M3. I find the current BMWs big, bloated and more like Buicks than true driver’s cars. I would suggest looking at the AMGs or any Porsche if you want more of driver’s experience.

For a lot of us middle age guys, we have multiple rides and the Raptor scratches one particular “itch.”

Apologies… I had to vent. I’m struggling to understand how to cross shop a Raptor with any BMW product.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’ve owned 4 BMWs including an E92 M3. I find the current BMWs big, bloated and more like Buicks than true driver’s cars. I would suggest looking at the AMGs or any Porsche if you want more of driver’s experience.

For a lot of us middle age guys, we have multiple rides and the Raptor scratches one particular “itch.”

Apologies… I had to vent. I’m struggling to understand how to cross shop a Raptor with any BMW product.
It's more like what SUV do I get into vs. a pickup (Raptor). Last SUV was Explorer ST. Nice vehicle, but looking for a nicer interior. While I have always thought I wanted a Porsche - not so excited about the Cayenne's. Flirted with the idea of a Defender until we rented one via Turo in March.

For now staying put with the Raptor. Don't really want to add a 3rd vehicle, yet.....