Metal rattle sound from suspension area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
update- new springs- same noise. I so hoped that was it.
Darn. I'm sorry. Update on mine to help. They fixed the brake caliper pin, replaced front axles and hub assemblies and secured the brake line with rubber fasteners so they don't bounce or rub against the leaf springs. Sound is still there. Then they said it was my rim and since they are two piece rims there was something loose inside the rims. They "fixed" the loose rim piece. Sound still there. They then tried to wedge towels in between all my skid plates, metal and plastic gas tank shield to stop any bouncing and the sound is still there.

So yesterday they lifted the truck up in front of me and went over everything. Then told me they have checked everything and the truck is solid and they have no idea what the noise is at this point. Then stated here's nothing else they can or will do, even though they acknowledge the sound is there and it's not normal. And now the metal on metal sound is louder since they isolated/secured everything else they could think it would be, so there's nothing drowning out the sound now.

I was told by a friend to just turn my music up, so I don't hear it. :(

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. I will try that. The dealer said no it wasn’t it. And they’ve replaced them twice already under warranty with the last one being 4000 miles ago.
Did you get a chance to check the sway bar end links yourself? If the dealer is checking them with the truck on a 2 post lift, they may not feel any play.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Godo luck with any Ford dealer. Take it to a indepedant mechanic.

A wired chassis ears setup would have it located in an hour at most. The new wireless stuff is kind of crap, and nobody wants to run the wires for the wired type. So you get part swapping.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Did you get a chance to check the sway bar end links yourself? If the dealer is checking them with the truck on a 2 post lift, they may not feel any play.
I did and they are rock solid! They finally gave it back as they are done trying to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

raptortrav001

Reaction score
I just found this thread today as I’m searching for tips and tricks as I look for a rattle in my left front fender/suspension area this weekend. Their response of too bad so sad it just makes noise is completely unacceptable. I am a service manager at a High-line car dealership and we would never give a car back in that condition. 95% of domestic service is so f-ing terrible and filled with hacks. I have similar issues with our local Ford store and I’m just going to find the rattle myself.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a noise in my front end going over bumps, sounded like a bell. I recently replaced all four shocks and leaf springs and the noise is gone.

daytona1783

Reaction score
Had this same noise in my other F150. I replaced my IWEs, along with the vacuum check valves on the firewall. If for any reason vacuum is not fully releasing the IWE, it will make this sound. Double check for vacuum leaks in the tubing running to the IWE. The check valves are super cheap, maybe $30 total for both.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sway bar end links seem to confound people. Here are a couple tips.

The sway bar ends move in unison if the front tires hit and object/obstacle at the same time, say a speed bump or a dip.

When that happens there is next to 0 load on the end links.

When one tire hits an object/obstacle the sway bar acts as a torsion spring and sends the forces through the bar to the other side of the vehicle suspension. Either (depending on how you look at it, forces are the same) it trys to lift the opposite side wheel OR push the wheel going over the obstacle down. At that point is when the end links are under maximum load.

So if the noise happens on uneven bumps but doesn't happen on uniform obstacles then do this.

Remove just one end link. Now the vehicle will handle differently so be warned unless you are a professional I wouldn't go hard around any corners.

Now go drive the vehicle on uneven surface, because the sway bar is now not connected to both sides no forces can be applied and no load put on the end link that is still attached so, it doesn't matter which one you take off. If the noise is gone I replace in pairs.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so they replaced everything and don't even know what they fixed? crazy...

have someone else rock the truck from the door frame while you hold onto the sway bar or sway bar link.. you'll clearly feel/hear a clunk if something is loose on the stabilizer bar..

sounded like a brake caliper to me.. you could try riding the brakes over bumps and def try 4wd to see if the noise changes.