Metal rattle sound from suspension area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
After listening to your clip again closer in a quiet area, a loose brake caliper could indeed make the rattling sound. Not necessarily a “loose” pin though. I haven’t had the brakes apart on mine yet, but many/most oem brakes have a rubber isolator sleeve or lube dust boots that the pin goes through to prevent such rattles. Anyway, you’re likely fixed.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Gen 2 has been in the service department for 8 days now re IWE grinding, exhaust rattle, transmission reprogram, and a second driver air bag replacement for yet another torn cover (all under warranty). $900 so far out of pocket on a rental they said I’d get reimbursed for in the future. I’ve extended the rental 3 times in a row listening to the “should be ready by [insert first day of the week that comes to mind]”. But get this…the Enterprise Rental is at the dealer. So I drove there this morning in the rented F150 Platinum they gave me (that’s been abused so much by renters that one of the rear tail light assemblies flaps against the body panel) and popped in to see the service advisor. Oh the look of surprise on his face. Tells me that “everything” has been diagnosed and he is going to reach out to Ford to get the go ahead to do the repairs under warranty, get me reimbursed for the rental, and it should be ready by Friday along with the new brakes and KO2’s I also requested. I think it’s safe to say I’ll be extending my rental again and I’m certainly not betting on Ford reimbursing a significant portion of the $1000+ I will have spent by the time she’s ready. Great success

If you're getting new front brakes the Police Interceptor pads/rotors are a big improvement...

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're getting new front brakes the Police Interceptor pads/rotors are a big improvement...
Thanks for the heads up. Fronts are good but will go for the interceptors when the time comes. They did rears and replaced warped rotors. Plus K02’s, allignment, & full synthetic $2600 and change. Warranty covered the airbag, the IWE grinding ended up in them replacing the entire hub assembly’s, and they reprogrammed the TCM, among other issues. Won’t know the complete picture until I pick her up tomorrow morning. 10 day rental out of pocket was $1000 and change. ESP covered my OEM dead horn replacement and they paid $175 toward rental. Now I need to see if Ford will reimburse any of it as the other issues were TSB warranty related. Whatever it is I’m glad to be giving them back their beat up 2020 Platinum and leaving with Lola. She’s got a name. Is what it is lol

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Ok. It wasn’t the brakes or the brake slide pin. After they fixed that I went to pick it up and sound still continued. I don’t know how they get away with not even test driving the vehicle to make sure the sound is gone but OK. That’s for another time.

So now I just got the phone call stating that they took the entire suspension apart for the entire front of the vehicle and they found the axles and the hub assemblies are rubbing somehow and that is causing them to grind on bumps when they’re under a flex load like hitting bumps or something.

So they said they are replacing both front axles and the hub assemblies on both sides under the powertrain warranty. Should be about a week or so before they finish and then I will give another update.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Ok, the dealer told you they don’t have a clue what’s causing the noise, so they’re going to throw every part they can think of at it so they get paid for swapping out a lot of parts. They get paid practically nothing for diagnostics, so they’re trying to recover the time they spent on it already. It’s a criminal racket. The dealer knows it and Ford knows it. It’s why Ford pays so little for warranty work…

There is likely a slightly loose bolt on the upper or lower control arm, so their shotgun approach will likely result in a “fix”.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score
Ok, the dealer told you they don’t have a clue what’s causing the noise, so they’re going to throw every part they can think of at it so they get paid for swapping out a lot of parts. They get paid practically nothing for diagnostics, so they’re trying to recover the time they spent on it already. It’s a criminal racket. The dealer knows it and Ford knows it. It’s why Ford pays so little for warranty work…

There is likely a slightly loose bolt on the upper or lower control arm, so their shotgun approach will likely result in a “fix”.
Well guess I’m getting a practically new truck then. They already did the engine twice. And pretty much all the suspension once this is done.

Sounds sketch and maybe time to upgrade. Hahah.

I bought an eight year hundred thousand mile warranty so ill probably just end up keeping it till at least that is over.

OP
OP
Typr04

Typr04

Reaction score

You may be right. Went to pick it up today. The sound is still there. But even louder now. So embarrassing. So yes. They are doing the shotgun approach. They have no idea.

When it’s one small bolt it’s going to be embarrassing when they admit what is was, if they even do. But they are the only ones who have ever worked on it, so I don’t feel bad either.

I just want my truck back and to be quiet again.

dave_g

Reaction score
I had a thunk over small bumps- found out last week was a broken coil spring. has been driving me nuts for a few months. I spend a fair amount of time under the truck- but never looked at the coil spring- neither did the shop I took it to.
update- new springs- same noise. I so hoped that was it.

Reaction score
Ha! I am having the same clunk noise on the front/driver side. Haven't spent much time trying to figure out what is the source, but like others said, it sounds like a loose metal shield. However, I am hoping it is just something lose or a metal clip missing on the calipers so I can do a quick fix myself. If you guys found out more, let me know.

It does not happen very frequently in my case.

On another note, she just got new trans fluid, new diff fluid front and back and new transfer case fluid. I can notice a much improved performance and the clunky gear changes are gone.